WSUP is a non-profit partnership between the private sector, NGOs and research institutions focused on solving the global problem of inadequate water and sanitation in low-income urban communities.
WSUP brings lasting solutions to low-income areas by working in partnership with service providers including water utilities, local authorities and businesses, and the communities they serve.
WSUP strengthens the capacity of service providers to deliver sustainable city-wide water and sanitation services, promote good hygiene and raise the environmental standards of low income communities.
Job Title: Project Manager
The purpose of the Project Manager role is to provide support to the WUSP Country Programme Manager in order to ensure that all aspects of the implementation of the programme supported by WSUP proceed in a coordinated, efficient and timely manner in accordance with the agreed programme and budget. This will entail inter alia identification and scheduling of tasks required to deliver programme components, monitoring progress, and working closely with the CPM to avert potential delays.
The post holder will also have a temporary responsibility for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and support the CPM in nurturing and building relationships.
- Support the CPM to plan and implement the water, sanitation and hygiene activities set out in the WSUP programme and to achieve the given beneficiary numbers, timing and spend targets within the allocated resources and time frame.
- Support the CPM and PD through monitoring against time and budget the completion of the various tasks necessary to deliver the WSUP programme
- Deliver the project objectives for Accra, managing local procurement tasks and the recruitment of sub-consultants and sub-contractors, preparing and monitoring Task Orders and Consultancy Agreements.
- Assist the CPM in the coordination of project partners including government, civil society, private sector.
- Facilitate the design and formation of context based management models for service delivery to low income consumers.
- Work in partnership with local service providers in the implementation of service improvements.
- Identify capacity needs of service providers, institutions and other management structures involved in service delivery and coordinate the delivery of capacity development to address the gaps
- Ensure adequate post construction operation and maintenance (O & M) support is in place for the institutional structures put in place to support service delivery.
- Facilitate the development of forms of agreement between service providers and others to ensure the sustainability of the relevant management models.
- Prepare and submit activity and financial reports to CPM on project implementation.
- Assist with the documentation and sharing of learning and best practices with project stakeholders, liaising with the WSUP M&E Manager and Communications Officer.
- Ensure compliance of all legal, health, safety and environmental requirements of WSUP projects’ construction activities in Ghana in accordance to all internal, national and international standards.
- Supervise WSUP Project Officers.
- Undertake any other project-related tasks that shall be assigned by the CPM.
Required Skills or Experience
- Hold a first degree in Public Health, Development studies or Social Sciences
- Experience in software components in the WASH sector.
- A minimum of 7 years of demonstrable competence and experience in integrated/community-based, water supply and sanitation improvement projects for international development organisations. Experience in low income urban WASH is an added advantage.
- Proven experience of 2 years working in a project management role, with a track record of success in achieving results.
- Excellent computer skills, with an understanding of MS Project, Engineering and GIS software desirable.
- Should be a team player, driven by own initiative, good communicator and have ability to work under minimum supervision
- Some experience working in a commercially oriented water utility and MMAs is desirable.
- Leadership and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a small, multi-disciplinary programme team and to liaise with institutional partners, consultants, contractors, community representatives and local politicians.
- Motivated by the mission of WSUP.
- Good written and spoken English is essential. Ability to speak Ga and Twi would be desirable.
How To Apply
The Country Programme Manager, by email by email no later than July 5, 2013 to:
- Write in the Subject line- Project Manager Accra
- We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.