Posted on :
15 Sep, 2016
15 Sep, 2016
Established in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO which is at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realise a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens. Visit www.yesghana.org for more information.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative, which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana is leading on the awareness creation, sensitization & mobilisation, and also enrolment of eligible youth onto the program.
Job Title: Field Officer
YES-Ghana is seeking a Field Officer who will be required to promote the project to young people in the target group through various awareness creation events in order to sensitize and recruit participants for a training programme on technical and non-technical construction skills. Led by a field supervisor, they will be the first point of contact for all youth in Kumasi and its surrounding communities who are interested in the project. With the support of Field Assistants, he/she will be responsible for screening and interviewing applicants wishing to be enrolled onto the programme. The Field Officer will also be maintaining records of all participants using a Participant Management Database. The Field Officer reports to the Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Operations / Programmes
• Promote the project to youths in target group through various awareness creation activities such as undertaking community outreach programs and organising events to recruit participants to the training programme.
• Ensure that recruitment of participants is gender-sensitive, and that a significant proportion of youth recruited to the programme are women.
• Led by the Field Supervisor, act as the first point of contact to all youths expressing interest in the programme
Data entry, data management and record-keeping
• Screen and interview applicants to assess their eligibility to be enrolled onto the project.
• Collect baseline data from participants though surveys and interviews.
• Maintain accurate records of participant details using both paper records and data entry into the Participant Management Database.
• File and manage filling systems of all field and participant log forms completed.
Internal and external communications
• Liaise with partner organisations to refer participants to their services.
• Build relationships with stakeholders who could refer participants to the programme.
• Manage a small team of Field Assistants and a Hub Training Assistant.
• Assist Field Supervisor in reporting to Project Manager on achievements of targets and any concerns arising
• Together with the team monitor training activities as may be required and report to Training & capacity Building Manager.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Field Supervisor or Project Manager.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Experience in undertaking community work and/or youth-focussed activities, gained either through professional employment or volunteering (for example with a youth group, school, church group or local community centre).
• Experience in mobilising young people highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases would be a plus.
Skills & Personal Attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people management skills.
• Skills and commitment in building rapport with youth participants including ability to motivate others, as well as patience and empathy for marginalised youth from disadvantaged communities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with subordinates, other staff, project participants and partners, as well as other stakeholders.
• Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Resourceful and able to deal with new or difficult situations, with good decision-making skills and sound judgement in resolving issues and problems.
• Good organisation and time management skills, confident managing multiple tasks at a time.
• Numerate and IT literate, with ability to use a complex Participant Management Database.
• Excellent attention to detail, high degree of accuracy and good information management skills.
• Fluency in English and Twi.
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and familiarity with a variety of local communities in Kumasi and its surrounding communities.
• Willing to travel to different communities within in and around Kumasi.
• A flexible approach to work – work at evenings and weekends may be required.
• Passion and commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles.
• Only candidates who reside in or around KUMASI and are willing to travel to and fro all its surrounding communities will be considered for this role.
• Candidates must have no criminal record particularly in relation to the abuse of children and youth. Background checks will be conducted.
• Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and a recent CV bearing your contact details and two references to:
Please use FIELD OFFICER – KUMASI as the subject line of the email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 02 October, 2016