Posted on :
15 Sep, 2016
15 Sep, 2016
Established in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO which is at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realise a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens. Visit www.yesghana.org for more information.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative, which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana is leading on the awareness creation, sensitization & mobilisation, and also enrolment of eligible youth onto the programme.
Job Title: Field Supervisor
YES-Ghana is recruiting a Field Supervisor who will coordinate all field and administrative activities in the hub (a field base/coordination point for field work), and serves as the first point of contact for other YES-Ghana staff. The Field Supervisor has administrative oversight of all activities of a Field Officer, Field Assistants and a Hub Training Assistant, including operations, communications, programmes, data management and finance. The Field Supervisor will spend up to 70% of their time based at the hub, and the remaining time on mobilisation in the field. The Field Supervisor reports to the Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure all utilities for the hub are in constant supply (water, electricity etc.)
• Ensure the hub has all the resources it needs to function effectively, including drinking water, communications equipment (Sims, phones, tablets, laptop), air conditioning, stationery, cleaning products, fuel for transportation etc.
• Monitor use of YIEDIE materials and equipment, e.g. Brochures, posters, T-shirts, banners, megaphone and other equipment.
• Receive and report issues with the database.
• Maintain security within the hub, being responsible for implementing a strict opening and closing procedure and for storing equipment safely and securely.
• Liaising with the landlord regarding issues that may arise with the property.
Internal and external communications
• Receive calls from members of the public
• Draft letters and send to Project Manager for signing
• Serve as key point of contact for Project Manager and other YES-Ghana staff:
• Report any issues arising in the field to Project Manager
• Liaise with Training and Capacity Building Manager regarding new classes starting, training venues, logistics and any other issues relating to training
• Receive and forward all HR paperwork of colleagues in hub to the Finance & Admin Manager
• Send photos and other social media content to Communications and Mobilisations Manager
• Enrol youth and/or collect their paperwork and deal with any visitors to the hub making enquiries about the project
• Join colleagues on the field for significant screening activities and mobilisation events
• Lead the development of workplans to be submitted to Project Manager, and ensure that all colleagues are aware of the daily, weekly and monthly plans for field activities
• Submit weekly and monthly reports to Project Manager
• Keep well-informed at all times of the whereabouts of all colleagues and their movements
Data entry, data management and record-keeping
• Daily collection of data from Field Officers and Field Assistants
• Collate weekly and monthly figures to send to Project Manager
• Track progress towards targets
• Compile referral lists
• Data entry of paper forms
• Keep records of key community contacts
• Filing of paper work and other record keeping
• Plan ahead for financial needs and submit requests for funds for administrative and field activities in advance
• Receive the money, and be responsible for accounting and reconciliation of funds
• Keep monies safe and secure, including both funds for administrative and field activities as well as deposits from youth
• Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of two years professional experience in undertaking community work and/or youth-focussed activities.
• Experience in mobilising young people highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases a must.
Skills & Personal Attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people management skills.
• Skills and commitment in building rapport with youth participants including ability to motivate others, as well as patience and empathy for marginalised youth from disadvantaged communities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with subordinates, other staff, project participants and partners, as well as other stakeholders.
• Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Resourceful and able to deal with new or difficult situations, with good decision-making skills and sound judgement in resolving issues and problems.
• Good organisation and time management skills, confident managing multiple tasks at a time.
• Numerate and IT literate, with ability to use a complex Participant Management Database.
• Excellent attention to detail, high degree of accuracy and good information management skills.
• Fluency in English and Twi.
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and familiarity with a variety of local communities in Kumasi and its surrounding communities.
• Willing to travel to different communities within in and around Kumasi.
• A flexible approach to work – work at evenings and weekends may be required.
• Passion and commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles.
• Only candidates who reside in or around KUMASI and are willing to travel to and fro all its surrounding communities will be considered for this role.
• Candidates must have no criminal record particularly in relation to the abuse of children and youth. Background checks will be conducted.
• Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and a recent CV bearing your contact details and two references to
Please use FIELD SUPERVISOR – KUMASI as the subject line of the email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 02 October, 2016