Posted on :
27 Oct, 2020
27 Oct, 2020
Job Title: Digital Engagement Intern
No. of Positions One
Sector: Advocacy, Engagement & Communications
Employment Category: Fixed term
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 1-3 months
Open to Expatriates: No
Reports to: Digital Engagement Manager
Start Date: 1st December 2020
Location: Accra, Ghana
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. For more than 15 years, we have provided tailored skills training for youth, leading to improvements in their leadership, financial literacy, entrepreneurship and life planning skills. Through our service delivery, we have provided education, skills training, and technical support to thousands of youth and helped them transition to self and wage employment. Our research has contributed to filling the gap in youth data and the evidence base for public policy. And, we continue to use our national appeal and grassroots constituency, through our Voices of Youth Coalition, to advocate and campaign for youth-inclusive policies at all levels. We are entering an exciting phase of growth at YES-Ghana and are looking for new people to help take us forward.
Purpose of the role:
As the Digital Engagement Intern, you will support the digital engagement strategy of YES-Ghana towards the organisation’s objectives, solidify relationships with our online community, and discover and share stories worth telling. You will work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to transform stories, content, current events and outcomes into successful social media campaigns that generate conversation and help the organisation connect with and expand its social following.
• Content development: support identification and shaping of meaningful content within the organisation and the youth community to highlight via the organisation’s digital channels; support the production of content for digital activities, including multimedia content for website and social media platforms, action alerts, donor appeals and other electronic grassroots communications
• Website management: backstop all aspects of web management to increase traffic to site and
improve user experience; help leverage official websites to share and promote the organisation’s programmes and brand
• Social media management: support maintenance of the organisation’s flagship social media channels, from scheduling and publishing to monitoring and engaging; work with supervisor to ensure that all messages, whether pre-approved or spontaneous, are consistent, well written and brand appropriate; develop and execute plan for improving the organisation’s social media engagement, including generating campaigns to activate existing constituents and engage new ones
• Writing: produce a wide range of high-quality written communication materials, including but not limited to social media messaging, blog posts, electronic newsletters, digital ad copy, emails, social media policy documents and internal communications
• Best practices and protocol: work closely with the wider team to establish best practices and protocol for all social media efforts; serve as a consultant to other teams and field staff on creative, effective and appropriate uses of social media channels and tools
• Metrics: establish key metrics for social media; gather data and report on performance against established metrics; use insights from metrics to adjust strategy and tactics as needed, and to aid in the development and execution of future plans
• Current or recent student
• Experience with all major social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram; familiarity with live events (such as Facebook Live) and enterprise social media management software (such as Hootsuite) required
• Working knowledge of WordPress CMS solutions
• Graphic design, video and photo editing skills
• Written and oral communications skills, with the ability to research and make complex information relatable to a variety of audiences; editing and proofreading skills are a must
• Maturity, sound judgment and the ability to work independently; when engaging with the online community, must be able to recognise when to seek additional input and when to flag issues, trends and opportunities for leadership
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and an updated CV to:
Please use Digital Engagement Intern as the subject line of your email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the qualifications, skills and experience requirements for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 31 October, 2020
YES-Ghana is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation.
YES-Ghana has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the organisation, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and processes, and discrimination. YES-Ghana also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.