Posted on :
18 Apr, 2016
18 Apr, 2016
The Council of the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) hereby announces that the post of Rector of the Institute will become vacant from September 1, 2016. A successor is, therefore, being sought to take over from the incumbent Rector.
GIMPA was founded in 1961 as a training centre and established as a public university by an Act of Parliament in 2004.
GIMPA is a self-financing public tertiary institution which has a mission to build quality human capital through innovative education and training in the fields of leadership, management, public service, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Law.
GIMPA has a student population of about ten thousand (10,000) and employees numbering approximately six hundred (600) made up of academics, senior administrative and professional staff as well as middle and junior level support staff.
The Rector is:
• the principal academic and administrative head and the Chief Executive of the Institute, and is accountable to the GIMPA Council.
• the Chief Disciplinary Officer of the Institute and has authority over all employees and students of the Institute, as provided for in the GIMPA Act.
• responsible for the promotion of higher education and research and the provision of academic and administrative leadership. He/She should be capable of meeting challenges posed by inadequate infrastructure and a phenomenal growth in student population.
• responsible for setting and implementing the agenda reflected by the Institute’s broad strategic plans; initiating new directions in the academic development of the Institute; and protecting the integrity of the Institute’s processes.
• responsible for the management of the budget and resources of the Institute within the approved estimates.
The Rector shall advise the Council on matters affecting policy, finance, governance and administration of the Institute and shall be bound by directions of the Council
• and provide the Council with returns, reports and other relevant information that it may require; and
• He/she is the public face of the Institute and represents the Institute to the outside world, speaking for GIMPA in and outside Ghana.
Qualification Required & Experience
• must be of unblemished character and have a high degree of personal integrity.
• must be of professorial or principal lecturer status, distinguished scholar with a considerable managerial and administrative experience in higher education and / or in industry .
• must be a distinguished scholar of international repute, who can inspire, direct and motivate employees in the drive to become a world class research intensive institute dedicated to the training of competent leaders, managers and administrators.
• must display creativity and innovation.
• must have mature and sober judgement.
• must possess excellent inter-personal and communication skills and must be a team player.
• must have good entrepreneurial drive and the ability to manage large resources efficiently, to achieve set goals.
• must have good fund raising capabilities and ability to mobilize other resources for the development of the institute.
• must be an individual who, judging from his/her track records, is likely to command respect as well as loyalty of members of staff and GIMPA community.
• must be committed to the development of ICT into the institute’s programmes and services.
• must be devoted and able to commit full-time attention to the business of the institute.
• must be able to complete a four-year term by age 60.
Terms of Appointment
• To be determined by Council consistent with the Institute’s Act and Statutes.
• Salary and fringe benefits attached to the post are attractive.
How To Apply For The Job
Candidates are to submit an application letter to which should be attached the following:
• Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities sought, one of whom must be from the last or current place of employment.
• A short vision statement of not more than four (4) pages.
All referees should be asked to send their independent reports to the Chairman of the Search Committee with full details of the applicant not later than the closing date of this advertisement.
Interested candidates are required to submit one (1) copy of their application letters, vision statement, curriculum vitae and copies of other relevant supporting documents under registered cover marked ‘CONFIDENTIAL’to reach the following address not later than Friday 22th April 2016:
Search Committee for Rector
c/o Office of the Public Services Commission
P.O. Box GP 1618, Accra.
Personally deliver to Room 503 on the 5th Floor of the PSC Block opposite
Ministry of Finance, Accra.
Additionally, an electronic version should be forwarded to:
Closing Date: 22 April, 2016
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the application reaches the addresses provided, by the due date