Posted on :
6 Oct, 2013
6 Oct, 2013
The Water and Sanitation Department (OWAS) was established in 2006 to provide an institutional focus for water sector activities in the Bank. The Department also plays an important role in ensuring the Bank’s leadership role in water sector activities in Africa. The specific mission of the Water and Sanitation Department is to centralize the Bank’s water and sanitation sector activities for better coordination and to facilitate the definition and implementation of sustainable solutions across the water value chain, from strategy, policy-making, institutional reform, advisory services at country and regional levels, capacity building, information and knowledge, fund-raising, project implementation and monitoring.
To that effect the Department supports the Bank’s contribution in the Water Supply and Sanitation sector to eliminate poverty and to promote economic growth in Africa, to achieve MDGs targets in the WSS and in other related areas, namely nutrition, education, health, gender empowerment and environment.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the incumbent will be in charge of:
• Ensuring the inclusion of all socio-economic aspects in projects and water and sanitation sector programmes, assessing their socio-economic impact and monitoring their implementation;
• Participating in defining the Bank’s intervention strategy in the area of water and sanitation, integrating the socio-economic impact of water and sanitation operations and appropriate justifications;
• Participating in sectoral project identification, preparation, appraisal and supervision missions in the water and sanitation sector;
• Assuming responsibility for including the socio-economic aspects of projects and programmes in all phases of the project cycle (from identification to completion) by participating in all missions;
• Ensuring the definition of the socio-economic indicators of projects and programmes, identifying mechanisms for monitoring their implementation;
• Ensuring the management of Water and Sanitation sector projects;
• Contributing to review of the Bank’s current policies and guidelines in the area of water and sanitation with respect to socio-economic aspects;
• Developing partnerships with other multilateral and/or bilateral development institutions on socio-economic aspects and collaborating with experts from these institutions during field missions;
• Representing the Bank in international meetings and participating in dialogue on the development of strategies to combat poverty and promote inclusive growth.
Qualification Required & Experience
Key qualities and skills are required to meet these challenges:
• At least a Master’s Degree or equivalent in social sciences, economics, social development or related fields;
• At least 5 years’ professional experience in the field of development finance and the definition and implementation of social development sector policies, including the water and sanitation sector; experience in project cycle management (identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and completion);
• Demonstrable knowledge of analysis and formulation of policies in the social sectors. Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral agencies, development partners in African countries will be an asset;
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate a spirit of creativity and initiative;
• Integrity and ability to work in a team and a proven capacity to lead a team;
• Excellent communication skills in written and spoken French and/or English with a working knowledge of the other language.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested and qualified candidates should
Closing Date: 21 October, 2013
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply