Posted on :
31 Mar, 2014
31 Mar, 2014
The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of INFORMATION RESOURCE CENTER (IRC) ASSISTANT in the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the Embassy.
POSITION NO: A76002
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The IRC Assistant will serve as the primary point of contact for Embassy visual diplomacy records retention and program productions; serve as graphics lead to consistently create and design an IRC newsletter, one page fact sheets, flyers, programs and brochures for PAS; and potentially a quarterly periodical for print distribution.. S/he will cover some of PAS photography duties for the Mission; create short videos supporting mission priorities; be responsible for organizing the Section’s extensive photo files; creatively employ graphic design skills for various print and on-line publications and serve as the point of contact for the technical aspects of all web chats and video conferences offered from Washington and produced locally. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for receiving, storing, and conducting inventory on all PAS equipment and educational materials. Creates and designs a database logging in all PAS equipment and educational materials; and serves as the back-up for the IRC Outreach and American Space Coordinator in addition to other duties as assigned.
Qualification Required & Experience
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. University degree in Information Science, Computer Science and/or Engineering, Creative, Visual and/or Performing Arts, Communication and/or Marketing is required.
2. A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience working withgraphic design and publication and inventory control, or in the field of information provision or marketing, broadly defined. Should have some photography and videography experience; and ideally should include experience in the use of emerging technologies and electronic resources.
3. Level IV (fluent) English required. High degree of proficiency in both the written and spoken language, including the ability to translate. On occasion, the job holder may need to act as an interpreter. Good working knowledge of any the local languages is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
4. Must possess graphics and publishing skills for print and on-line products; knowledge of electronic information retrieval and delivery tools; understanding the standard information science practices and procedures; and internet skills to create and maintain databases to track PAS inventory.
5. Must possess interpersonal skills to welcome and explain resources available at the Information Resource Center.
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Reportare not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience T. References
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the [email protected] email address.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Human Resources Office
Through the Mailroom, Chancery
American Embassy, Accra
P.O. Box GP194, Accra
POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 01 April, 2014