AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Power Systems Engineer
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Power Systems Engineer is accountable for the monitoring and control of correct and economic usage of Electrical Power across Processing Plant, surface and UG infrastructure in accordance with the Power Supply Contract and economic specific usage per unit output of product in a sustainable cost-effective manner while minimizing operational risks in order to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Work according to total quality management principles & ensure zero defect objectives & safety
- Adhere to site’s Environmental Management Plan
- Gather information for the Principal Electrical Engineer and Engineering Technical Specialist for reporting performance
- Conduct periodic power usage and usage pattern audits of all Processing Plant, surface and UG Infrastructure electrical new build, later maintenance, work
- Conduct reviews of the electrical new build, later maintenance, of the Processing Plant, surface and UG Infrastructure to identify actions for continuous improvement
- Propose to the Principal Electrical Engineer the development of usage pattern monitors and penalty avoidance checks for infrastructure equipment;
- Execute electrical new build, later maintenance, work checks on a routine scheduled basis. This to include monitoring that the following are being carried out and recorded:
- visual checks, vibration data collection, infrared data collection, ultrasonic data collection, motor current and flux data collection, simple NDT data collection;
- Analyse and trend predictive usage influencer data (vibration, IR, etc.) to determine plant condition and usage impact. Report this condition for action;
- Monitor general physical condition of electrical distribution assets and report
- Check the implementation of Root Cause Analysis preventive and corrective actions as necessary;
- Generate work requests in SAP as required for electrical distribution maintenance planning and scheduling
- Control the quality of routine condition monitoring tasks are performed on all the rotating equipment by data collection using advanced portable data collectors and other tools according to the established schedules and also as per the plant requirements.
- Monitor the gathering of information on vibration & other data collected in order to diagnose / troubleshoot electrical distribution problems and problems that impact on power consumption characteristics.
- Actively participate in refurbishment/maintenance review programmes and Root Cause Failure Analysis process of power distribution equipment.
- Identify, communicate, and implement potential cost reduction initiatives
- Propose cost savings projects
- Execute work in a timely manner
- Monitor distribution equipment performance on asset health system and take proactive measures to address symptoms of potential failure.
- Report directly to the Principle Electrical Engineer on power issues and those that will impact on the power supply contract costs; identify and execute improvement projects
- Stop equipment from working if there exists a high risk or unsafe to be used
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- Masters’ Degree in Management will be an advantage
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses.
- An experienced Electrical Engineer with 10+ years’ experience in HV power distribution, preferably in mining and metallurgical plants
- Management of HV power supply contracts and reduction of penalties
- Experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of SAP PM Module.
- Must possess Sectional Engineer Certificate of Competency from Mineral Commission of Ghana.
- Professional Certificated Engineer with a relevant certification body
- Strong Electrical Engineering competencies in mining and/or extractive metallurgy environment
- Demonstrable power management capability, meeting power supply agreement factors, peak reduction and power factor management
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Detail oriented to understand complex systems, and recognition that a minor error can cause major problems.
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties. Legally astute with respect to project delivery and maintenance systems
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing
- Knowledge in AGA standards
- Knowledge in OEM legalities and mining regulations
- Demonstrated understanding of good engineering practices and the implementation of proactive maintenance strategies