AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Senior Geotechnical Engineer.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
To develop and lead an effective site Geotechnical Engineering* team capable of continuously enhancing
performance whilst delivering on the business objectives / targets and to mitigate geotechnical risk by identifying geotechnical hazards and advising appropriate actions.
- Assist the Chief Geotechnical Engineer to establish the necessary Geotechnical processes and practices for the operations of the Obuasi Mine.
- Provide unequivocal Geotechnical planning data to enable the quarterly updates of the rolling 18-month plan to be produced on time.
- Develop the annual Geotechnical cost centre budget to achieve the required targets for achieving annual, medium term and LoM business plans.
- Deliver the work of the Geotechnical function within approved budget targets and specified timeframes, costs and related KPIs.
- Demonstrate Safety Leadership and improve the Culture across the Mine Technical Services Department and with the Geotechnical team regarding Safety, Health, Environmental and Sustainable Development.
- Responsible and accountable for their team’s environmental obligations and performances by conducting informal meetings with team and reporting any weaknesses in the environmental procedures.
- Enforce all environmental work procedures that have been issued by the Departmental Manager.
- Attend all scheduled and assigned environmental training meetings.
- Provide the resources and expertise to develop the team to capably and consistently deliver the annual budget, according to their role and level of authority.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with Internal Stakeholders (Corporate, Group Planning & Technical, sister mines, etc.) and external Stakeholders (Regulatory Agencies and Authorities, Minerals Commission) to establish existing and changing societal and regulatory expectations and requirements.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc in Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering or similar
- Five (5) to eight (8) years’ experience and demonstrated technical capability and knowledge of open pit and/or underground mining geotechnical design and implementation
- Demonstrated capability to conduct technical geotechnical work with limited supervision
- Be physically fit and be able to pass pre-employment and medical examinations / screening
- Experience in the use of Mining Geotechnical Software;
- Good Communication Skills.
- Understands all the aspects of design basis and mechanisms identification and has demonstrated the ability to address their impact on the design with minimal supervision.
- Knows when to engage Specialists support.
- Understands how inputs & outputs to design specification contributes to the design parameters and how they can be manipulated to reduce variability.
- Can implement a new design specification philosophy under supervision.
- Commission and maintain a fit-for-purpose monitoring system for the mining method.
- Investigates areas of significant deviation from the LOM design predicted operational limits
- Conducts advanced evaluation and trend assessments and reports the results at daily/weekly production meetings (short term focus) – knows when to engage Specialist support
- Collects and manages relevant data to a high standard of quality assurance and control.
- Uses relevant statistical analysis, technical models, systems and tools as part of the analytical process.
- Makes & supports conclusions with accurate information & analysis suited to the mining method.
- Construct numerical models in simple codes.
- Understands the critical operational parameters to operate numerical codes and equipment within design tolerances.
- Understands the basic assumptions and reliability of numerical codes and equipment, and can identify when results are outside of norm.