AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Backfill Engineer.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
To implement, monitor and co-ordinate the backfill requirements for the mine in line with the established mine plan
- Establish the necessary Backfill Engineering processes and practices for the redevelopment of the Obuasi Mine, including Operational Readiness
- Provide unequivocal Backfill Engineering planning data to enable the monthly updates of the rolling quarterly plan to be produced on time.
- Develop the quarterly Backfill Engineering cost centre budget to achieve the required targets for achieving annual business plans
- Deliver the work of the Backfill Engineering function within approved budget targets and specified timeframes, costs and related KPIs
- Demonstrate Safety Leadership and improve the Culture across the Backfill Engineering department regarding Safety, Health, Environmental and Sustainable Development
- Provide the resources and expertise to develop the team to capably and consistently deliver the annual budget, according to their role and level of authority
- Rigorously drive implementation of projects and nurture and sustain a culture of Accountability and Continuous Improvement within the Backfill Engineering team
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with Internal Stakeholders (Corporate, Group Planning & Technical, sister mines, etc.) and external Stakeholders (Regulatory Agencies and Authorities, Minerals Commission) to establish existing and changing societal and regulatory expectations and requirements
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc. Mining / Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Three (3) years’ operational experience within an underground mining environment of which at least two (2) years is backfill systems based;
- Demonstrated experience with knowledge of fundamental underground backfill mechanics;
- Proficient in the use of Mining Software;
- Proficient in the management and control of underground backfill operations across a range of fill types;
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Safety (Advanced Application)
- Mining Production Processes & Practices (Basic Application)
- o Understands the mining processes and actively contributes in part to delivery of the expected outcome / service the mining processes deliver.
- Has demonstrated the ability to apply technical skills and/or delivery of a service within one or more of the mining processes with minimal supervision.
- Can identify potential problems and propose solutions for higher approval.
- Directly responsible for delivering a production aspect of the plan.
- Understands good underground production practices, management, support systems, and how each should interact to deliver targeted performance.
- Operational Management (Basic Application)
- Understands the AGA system of ‘how we work’ and applies the basic elements.
- Capable of managing and supervising small teams.
- Able to provide performance assessments on others to their direct manager.
- Understands the adjacent technical disciplines (geology, processing, engineering etc.) and participates in discussions with colleagues in these disciplines on areas of overlap and opportunity.
- Uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities and identify cost-effective approaches
- Understands financial reports and comprehends the relevance/impact to the total operation
- Actively looks for ways to manage costs without impacting on planned outcomes
- Planning (Basic Application)
- Competent in creating ventilation strategies to support a mining area or block.
- Competent in developing an understanding of costs and revenue associated with a design to drive business outcomes.
- Understanding of all ancillary detail of a plan.
- Contract Management (Basic Understanding)
- Understands the core elements of the contract and its intended outcomes.
- Identifies and monitors elements of the contract performance.
- Makes suggestions for improvements or variations via their manager
- Project Management (Basic Application)
- Understands AGA project management standards and has applied them in a minor project to conceptual level.
- Ability to lead a minor project and interact with test work and engineering consultant service providers
- Innovation (Basic Application)
- Identifies and proposes modifications to existing processes to deliver better performance and service
- Creating a disciplined team to deliver the planned work to the defined standards.
- Managing oneself – taking ownership of one’s personal development.
- Building effective working relationships – the ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship;
- Building trust & accountability – displaying high levels of integrity and honesty;
- Maximizing performance & achievement of results – solving problems and analyzing issues, driving for results