Open Pit and Underground Geologists
Reports To: Senior Principal Geologist – Open Pit Or Underground
Departments: Geology Department,
Sections: Underground and Open Pit
- Organize and supervise sampling crews for RC rig and ascertain that same samples are taken properly, processed properly and sent to laboratory with appropriate duplicates, blanks and standards. Ascertain that lithologies are logged properly.
- Supervise any other sampling that management might find necessary from time to time.
- Carry-out mapping of pit faces showing lithologies and measuring attitudes of bedding and major joint planes where appropriate.
- Present mapping data in well designed maps.
- Transfer field data into database.RC boreholes must be entered as soon as they have been completed.
- Update Surpac database as soon as assay results are received from laboratory.
- Use Surpac scripts for grade and tonnage estimations.
- Carry-out reconciliations of Grade Control delineated ore against exploration resource model ore.
- Supervise the delineation of ore blocks in the pits.
- Organize and supervise Grade Control Assistants in order that facing-off of ore and mining of ore is carried out with minimum dilution and ore loss.
- Ascertain that tally sheets of ore trucks are properly balanced between pit and ROM pad or stockpile.
- Ascertain that samplers carry out duplicate sampling according to QAQC sampling schedule Ascertain that replicate sampling results are entered into database.
- Select samples to be retrieved from laboratory for re-numbering and re-assaying.
- Update daily the ore situation on the ROM pad –showing high-grade and medium-grade ore outlines together with estimated grades.
- Maintain records of loader deliveries to crusher and maintain daily report.
- Attend appropriate safety meetings and ensure that all work is carried out safely by inspecting work place, appropriate PPE and by regular tool box talks to sampling crews. Maintain database of tool box talks: date, subjects, and attendees.
- Report any safety incidents promptly and accurately.
- Report any hazards observed immediately to the shift boss.
- Liaise with CGML survey staff in order that RC collars and any other markers are picked-up timely and that ore blocks are delineated timely.
- Liaise with Contractor to sort-out any immediate problems with regards RC drilling –ore mining or any other relevant activities.
- Attend any required meetings.
- Keep Senior Geologist informed about all developments, good news and bad news.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time
The Incumbent May Be Required To Work Both Day And Night Shifts.
Required Skills or Experience
- BSC in geology from recognized University or College.
- Two years relevant work experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software
- Must be familiar with Surpac or other modelling software.
How To Apply
If you would like to be considered for the above positions, please send your application letter and current CV with references, indicating your e-mail address, telephone contact information to the address below:
Closing 30 Nov, 2011