Gold Fields Ghana seeks to employ an experienced and suitably qualified individual for the position of Vice President: Corporate Affairs and Sustainable Development. Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Head of West Africa Region, the incumbent will be responsible for formulating corporate affairs and sustainable development strategies for the West Africa Region and guiding the achievement of those strategies.
Job Title: Vice President: Corporate Affairs & Sustainable Development
- Develop and guide the implementation of the Gold Fields West Africa sustainable development and corporate affairs strategy, taking into account regulatory, industry and stakeholder trends.
- Provide strategic oversight and guidance on sustainable development and corporate affairs for the Region.
- Work closely with the Group sustainable development and corporate affairs departments in providing input to and implementing and aligning relevant Group strategies, policies and guidelines.
- Assess and profile emerging environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks and opportunities which may affect the success of the Region and ensure risk mitigation measures are in place.
- Identify projects and programs that create value and ensure the delivery of the Group sustainable development strategy.
- Provide professional leadership to the Region in reputation management through strategic communication and engagement of internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead development of the company’s position and represent the company’s interests to industry groups, governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Develop and co-coordinate medium and long term regional communication plans and strategies.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the company on external stakeholder issues in line with the Region’s stakeholder engagement and communication policy.
- Provide analysis of the key industry and organizational trend data in the sustainable development area to guide Executive Committee (Exco) decision making.
- Perform general media relations including writing media releases, media audits, analyzing, monitoring and overseeing social media in the Region.
- Work closely with site General Managers and the Executive Vice President (EVP) in building strong relationships and trust with stakeholders, including the Gold Fields Ghana Foundation.
- Manage the company’s corporate identity through the implementation of the Group corporate branding guidelines and overseeing advertising and sponsorship in the Region.
- Prepare relevant board notes and updates for board meetings.
- Relevant degree in social science, government affairs, environmental management, communications and/or health and safety.
- At least 10 – 15 years’ experience in social performance, environmental management, health and safety and/or government relations at a senior management level in the mining/resources sector or related industry.
- In-depth and up-to-date knowledge of external regulations, industry and stakeholder trends in the mining industry.
- Good understanding of the media industry with some media experience.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Public relations skills and general knowledge in economics and politics.
- Highly developed knowledge of risk and stakeholder management.
- Ability to develop and facilitate the implementation of strategies, policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Excellent understanding of the mining value chain and ability to identify key risk areas.
- Ability to adapt to diverse cultures.
- Able to articulate the company’s strategy and convey key principles to the regional team and other stakeholders.
- An innovative approach to problem-solving or key business requirements within a strong regulatory framework.