Posted on :
8 Sep, 2016
8 Sep, 2016
Golden Star Resources (GSR) is a growing mining company with two operating mines in Ghana, Golden Star (Bogoso/Prestea) Limited and Golden Star (Wassa) Limited and other projects at various stages of development.
The Company’s Prestea underground operation is seeking to recruit suitably qualified persons for appointment as
Job Title: Mine Captain
• Primary focus of this position will be to plan, direct, organise and manage operational and contract work teams in a very safe and efficient manner, and in compliance with statutory regulations.
• Train the work force in the use of modern mining techniques and supervise them to achieve planned targets for development and production within budgeted costs.
• The position will require the incumbent to develop strong working relationships with the technical services and maintenance departments.
• The position will also require a strong safety management focus and commitment.
• The position further requires the incumbent :
• To ensure that all tasks or activities ate executed and aligned with Standard Operating Procedures.
• To develop applicable Standard Working Procedures and safe Work Instructions.
• To be the go-to expert in the mine on all aspects of development drilling, production drilling, charging and blasting, hauling systems and methodologies.
• To ensure compliance with established methodologies and quality standards related to mine operations and recommend new or alternative approaches.
• To provide competency-based assessments and operational improvement plans.
• To provide, in conjunction with the Underground Manager, assessment of safety and performance outcomes.
• To prepare reports and complete documentations related to Mine Operations.
• To undertake training and workplace inspections, and provide safety awareness to contractors and operational staff on regular basis.
• To present monthly reports on mining plans and provide explanation to deviations from plans where necessary.
• To ensure that a safe working environment is maintained at all times and that all work is carried out in line with the company’s safety, health and environmental policies.
• To perform any other related duties assigned from time to time by his supervisor.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Mine Captain Certificate of Competency issued by the Inspectorate Division of Minerals Commission-Ghana;
• 10 years of underground mining experience with at least (5) years of hands-on exposure in a similar position;
• Fluent with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
• A training the trainers or supervisory certificate of competency; .
• Effective budgeting, planning and scheduling skills for both production and projects;
• Problem-solving and decision-making skills;
• Effective management skills and ability to train and mentor others;
• Willing to work extended hours to meet tight deadlines;
• Effective communication skills – both written and oral;
• Flexible rotations, including night shift, if critical circumstances need attention;
• High regard for safe work practices and procedures;
• Must possess a valid Ghanaian driving licence.
• Knowledge in the operational aspects of Alimak mining will be beneficial.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested persons should send their application letters, CVs, and copies of relevant academic documents to:
The HR Manager,
Golden Star (Bogoso/Prestea) Limited
Prestea Underground Mine
P.O. Box 30
Closing Date: 21 September, 2016