Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometers southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
Job Title: Senior Strategic Mine Planning Engineer
- Support corporate feasibility study and technical due diligence efforts including preparation of open pit mine designs, costs, and schedules.
- Appraise mining methods, processing methods, operating cost, capital spending, production schedules, dilution, and ore loss
- Identify key engineering and mining success factors and issues that could impact the economic viability of my plans and mine designs
- Prepare engineering studies aiding resource estimates for life of mine planning purposes
- Design and develop processes, practices, and methodologies in engineering and ensure alignment with the organization’s long-term strategy
- Perform Reforecasts of budget and LOM plan or schedules as may be required
- Prepare bench development plans and monitor medium and short term mine scheduling and pit activities to ensure compliance to the mining schedule
- Prepare and develop waste dump lift development plans and dumping Sequences. Initiate and undertake projects to optimize performance within engineering and to ensure adherence to industry regulations and organizational standards
- Ensure maximum return on investment by carrying out optimization, design and evaluation work, calculating ore reserves in accordance with established planning policies such as cut-off grades and legislative requirements
- Evaluate alternative designs and mine plans based on various operational scenarios with the goal of maximizing productivity and revenue
- Contribute to the business capability to mine safety by actively identifying risks and threats to achieving targets and developing, establishing and managing programs to ensure those risks are minimized or eliminated
- Ensure that all members of the mining teams have a clear understanding and direction of Project objectives by leading and controlling the coordination of regular planning meetings, ensuring deliverables are accurately recorded and distributed
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably assigned by your supervisor in accordance with the company’s policies.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of working experience
- Must have good working knowledge and experience with strategic planning and budgeting in the mining industry
- Must have a thorough understanding of open pit mining operations, as well as a general understanding of milling operations and mine maintenance
- Must be able to perform financial modeling and analysis in a mining environment
- Must be proficient with mine planning software systems for pit optimization and design, preferably Surpac, MineSched, Whittle, NPVS, TALPAC
- Must have basic knowledge of all phases of mining operations and proficiency in spreadsheet-based cash flow analysis
- Must be able to apply standards, policies, and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
- Good written and oral communication and report writing skills
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with defensive driving skills
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana, and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.