Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
Job Title: Mine Captain
- Abide strictly by the dictates of the Ghanaian Minerals and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulations 2012 (L.I. 2182)
- Ensure all employees under your charge work in accordance with the Explosive Regulations 2012 (L.I. 2177)
- Any non-compliance is recorded and instruct as such in regard to the management of the Underground Mining Operations
- Any occurrence of non-compliance is brought to the attention of the Underground Manager and Senior Underground Management
- Maintain a high level of health, safety and environmental awareness and comply with all relevant policies and procedures
- Coordinate the daily management, control and supervision of the underground mining operations
- Supervise the overall running of all underground mining activities to ensure mine targets are met safely and efficiently
- Ensure that all incident reports are raised within a 24 hour period and to ensure that all investigations follow the Kinross standards
- Be accountable for delivering on targets as established in the weekly and monthly mine plan
- Monitor and manage compliance to plan of mining activities (i.e. Ventilation, Air, Water, Dewatering, Ground Support, Water spay, Water blast, Road maintenance, housekeeping etc.)
- Lead the communication of underground operating strategies from the Mining and Technical Departments to the underground workforce.
- Ensure that all activities are reported accurately in to the Mine Control.
- Co-ordinate through the Shift Bosses to correctly align the daily shift plans to the weekly plan.
- Provide leadership to manpower management activities including; manpower planning and resourcing the weekly mining plan, discipline and liaison with workforce.
- Co-ordinate with the maintenance department on the servicing of underground equipment both mobile and fixed.
- Liaise with procurement to ensure mining consumable levels are provided to a satisfactory level to match production requirements.
- Ensure underground training matrices are communicated and currency is maintained in accordance with training schedules and mining requirements.
Education and Experience
- Diploma/Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years working experience in an underground mining environment
- Must have a statutory certification from the Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission of Ghana as an Underground Mine Captain.
- Must be a holder of Mine Rescue and valid First Aid Certificate
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the Duty of Care Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, and Mining Inspection Act & Regulations.
- Must have thorough understanding of underground mining operations, and solid safety performance at the personal and professional level.
- Must be able to apply standards, policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
- Must have good working knowledge with MS Office Suite.
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with defensive driving skills.
- Ability to drive and operate underground equipment will be an added advantage.
- A proven successful track record of leading teams and managing people
- Typically reports to a Underground Manager
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.