Guinness Ghana Breweries is a leading brewer and marketer of premium alcoholic and malt drinks in Ghana. It has the vision of being the Ghana’s most trusted and respected, best performing consumer products company.
Diageo Plc owns 80.39% Investment in Guinness Ghana Breweries Ltd and continues to invest heavily in capex, which is critical on the journey to become no.1. Diageo Plc is quoted in the US and London Stock Exchanges while Guinness Ghana Breweries Ltd (the subsidiary) is quoted in the Ghana Stock Exchange.
Job Title: Legal Counsel and Company Secretary, GGBL
- Enable GGBL to achieve its business objectives in a legally compliant way.
- Preserve value (financial and reputational) by minimizing the risk of value leakage and litigation and maintaining compliance with laws and GGBL’s Codes.
- Support GGBL in developing best practice corporate governance.
- Ensure the Function’s activities are prioritized and the Function is staffed internally and externally to maximize GGBL’s business objectives and performance.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Formal legal qualifications and training as required by law to work as a legal practitioner in Ghana.
- Strong commercial law background especially in the negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts relevant to the Group’s business and giving advice in relation to marketing, sales and promotion activities;
- A good working knowledge of the following legal areas – product liability, IP, employment, antitrust, corporate governance and the responsibilities of a Company Secretary
- A track record of effectively managing external lawyers generally and in relation to a large outsourced litigation caseload
- Strong, analytical, drafting and negotiating skills
- Open and outward looking attitude
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers
- Strong commercial and pragmatic approach
- Strong coaching and leadership skills
- Ability to impact and influence upwards
- At least ten years post qualification experience as a lawyer
- GGBL leadership capabilities – experienced
- GGBL Legal functional capabilities – experienced
- Function as a highly effective legal and business partner. Stay particularly close to the FD and the other Functional Heads.
- Ensure that the Legal Function is an integral part of the GGBL business (including visibility in market) so it receives appropriate commercial and other functional inputs.
- Embed functional best practice in the Business
- Achieve the right balance between hands on “doing” of legal work, managing external lawyers and training of staff on relevant topics.
- Review current processes and ways of working with the aim to embed proactive and commercial legal support for the Group, agree any recommendations with the GFD and implement necessary change.
- Prioritize and evaluate the best use of internal and external legal resources and manage spend accordingly.
- Select and agree terms of business with external lawyers.
- Work closely with the Diageo Legal Function (and Diageo Company Secretary Function, where applicable) to take advantage of appropriate functional experience and support.