Newmont’s African Regional Headquarters is located in Accra, Ghana, and is one of five core operating regions of Newmont Mining Corporation (http://www.newmont.com/), one of the largest gold companies in the world. Newmont operates the Ahafo Mine in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Project in the Eastern Region. The company has approximately 46,000 employees and contractors worldwide, and employs over 6,500 employees and contractors in Ghana.
Ahafo Mine: The Ahafo mine has made significant sustainable development projects to its host Ahafo communities. This includes the establishment of the Ahafo Development Fund (NADeF) where the company contributes US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit from the mining operation into the fund.
In 2010, the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GBC) voted Newmont Ghana as a leading company in the fight against HIV/AIDS and Malaria prevention. One of the company’s initiatives – The Ahafo Linkages Program, designed to maximize procurement from local Ahafo businesses, also won the most awards at the 2010 Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply UK (CIPS) Procurement Awards.
Akyem Project: The Akyem Project is one of Newmont’s new core areas in Ghana. It is currently in the construction stage and is expected to commence production in late 2013 or early 2014.
Newmont was the first gold mining company to be listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) and has for the fifth year running remained on the DJSI. Newmont was recently ranked 42nd in the 100 Best Corporate Citizens List by the Corporate Responsibility (CR) Magazine, and remains the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index.
Newmont Ghana’s industry leading performance is reflected through its high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our employees, and creating value and opportunity for our host communities and shareholders.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This combined with our growth opportunities and extended mine life makes Newmont a great company to work with.
Job Title: Commercial and Contracts Manager
- Responsible for the preparation of the commercial execution plans and integration with the contractors to ensure execution and business readiness of the Subika Underground and Ahafo Mill Expansion Projects., implementation, continuous improvement, management and execution of the Subika Underground Mining Contract.
- Ongoing management of the Underground Mining Contract
- Provision of commercial support to the Water Treatment and Tailings Storage Facility Projects
- Actively participates in site safety programs and promotes our safety culture to all Subika Underground staff, and assists Newmont’s Underground Mine Manager in promoting a positive safety culture with the Underground Mining Contractor.
- Provide commercial advice to the Projects Group with respect to contractual arrangements and interface with Supply Chain Management Department
- Work directly with Newmont’s Underground Mine Manager to ensure that Underground Mining Contractor mobilises all plant and equipment to site, and commences full scope in required timeframe.
- Manage the process of verifying, and approving monthly contractor claims and processing for payment in accordance with the contract.
- Is accountable for value-added, cost savings, and other performance metrics.
- Develop, recommend and implement programs to enhance working relationships and communication processes to ensure achievement of objectives. Ensure teams share leading practices and lessons learned, use consistent methodologies, and pursue deliverables that are aligned with corporate strategic objectives.
- Provide support to the Projects Commercial Director to oversee the rationalization and selection of suppliers to optimize Newmont’s supply base as it relates to Projects; ensure strong working relationships with these suppliers are developed and maintained, and provide direction to monitor and continually improve suppliers’ performance.
- Responsible for the implementation and continuous monitoring of the service requirement plans in coordination with the operational areas.
- Develop skills and abilities of direct and indirect reports through ongoing performance measurement and feedback. Provide career guidance and act as a champion and mentor for all commercial resources in the Projects Group.
- Responsible for the management of Projects Group contracts on site including, but not limited to, rationalization of contracts, and coordination of regular contract review meetings.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Collaboration and interaction is expected across the Regional Projects Group as well as across other service and operational areas of Newmont.
- The position is located at the Ahafo mine site in Ghana.
- Position may be required to travel to, and assist other domestic sites.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain Accounting or related field or equivalent experience.
- Membership of a contracts management institute(or similar) desirable
- MBA desirable.
- Twelve (12) years of directly related procurement experience or equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary.
- Seven (7) to nine (9) years of management experience – leading teams and having direct reports.
Skills and Abilities:
- Mining experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Strong knowledge of SAP or equivalent enterprise level software packages is necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.