Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Reliability Engineer
To develop and implement predictive maintenance programs to optimize the reliability and availability of mine plant and equipment. To develop, implement and review maintenance strategies and operating practices that optimize maintenance input for achieving equipment performance outcomes.
Reliability Engineering Planning
- Acquire condition monitoring data and analyze and further take proactive measures to prevent imminent failures to reduce maintenance cost.
- Perform Root Cause Analyses as required.
- Prepare diagrams, charts, drawings, calculations, and reports for defining reliability problems and investigate the reliability required for the particular situation considering the cost limitations for equipment up / down-time, repair / replacement cost, weight, size and availability of materials / equipment.
- Determine the cost advantages of alternatives for developing action plans to comply with internal customer demands for reliable processes / equipment to avoid failures.
- Plan for and conduct engineering research and development process engineering assignments including responsibility for projects of major significance using general engineering practices influenced by the general theme of reliability improvements for projects.
- Proactively review maintenance data and identify opportunities to reduce maintenance cost or improve equipment performance.
- Develop and implement the predictive maintenance program for the Ahafo mine.
- Monitor the predictive maintenance program for effectiveness
Reliability Engineering Management
- Initiate defect elimination process on equipment with worse reliability and implement actions to address root causes contributing to specific functional failures to prevent reoccurrence.
- Advise planner and scheduler on work package and schedule requirements.
- Monitor equipment performance on asset health system and take proactive measures to address symptoms of potential failure.
- Identify and engage suitable external resources to complete specialist predictive maintenance tasks.
- Supervise all condition monitoring activities on the mine including laser vibration analysis, thermography survey, lubrication management, laser alignment, ultrasonic inspections, MPI / DPI, and other statutory inspections to ensure that defects are picked up early enough and addressed.
- Manage and optimize the hydrocarbon management, defect elimination and condition monitoring processes.
- Identify, communicate and implement potential cost reduction initiatives.
- Manage the reliability components of Management Operating System (MOS) for Maintenance at the mine. This role is accountable for achieving and maintaining level 3 maturity for MOS elements identified as ‘Accountable” in MOS RACI chart. This includes:
- Taking ownership of the following MOS elements:
- managing Equipment Downtime Data (MN20,M11).
- updating Criticality Assessment (MN25).
- Taking responsibility for:
- completing of all reliability related tasks identified in the site MOS to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
- resolving reliability MOS Element non-conformances by direct intervention / coaching
- taking action on identified improvement opportunities to the MOS Element.
- ensuring that all MOS Element documentation is current and approved changes to the MOS Element are communicated to all involved stakeholders.
- Health and Safety Management
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
- Manage allocated staff member
- enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings,
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Degree or HND in mechanical / electrical engineering.
- MINCOM Sectional Engineer certificationAdditional Knowledge:
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance plant and equipment.
- Knowledge of Asset Management principles and practice.
- Knowledge of CMMS and ERPExperience:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a mining or similar environment for Degree holder, or 5 years’ experience in mining for HND holder.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising teams.Technical Skills:
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and in
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.