Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Geotechnical Engineer – Akyem Underground
- To provide geotechnical expertise and leadership with regards to mine design, schedule and ground support for all planning horizons with the objective of safe stable mining operations.
- Evaluate and propose optimum geotechnical engineering solutions for problematic situations which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
- Assess geotechnical risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Conduct analysis of stope and pillar designs, mining sequencing, ground support design.
- Participate in business improvement opportunities, AFE submissions and LOM plans.
- Establish and implement management tools for the geotechnical process workflow.
- Develop, review, audit, and sign off geotechnical databases and models.
- Prepare monthly geotechnical reports which includes quality of installation and performance of ground support along with technical review of all mine planning horizons.
- Contribute to statutory reporting activities related to ground support.
- Contribute towards budget preparation activities for the geotechnical team which include ground management review of proposed business plan and highlight possible cost implications such as increased ground support and ground monitoring.
- Review project plans and provide technical expertise in projects.
Safety Health and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
- Develop the geotechnical team through an effective programme of skills transfer, mentorship and appropriate training.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Civil, Mining, Geotechnical or Geological Engineering
- Strong knowledge of Mine design software, Dips, Unwedge, Phase2, Map3D programmes
- 7 years in hard rock underground metalliferous mining environment
- Preferred experience in supervising a team
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Advanced planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Attention to Detail.
- Work Under Pressure.