Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Security Supervisor – Process Plant
About This Role
- To manage the day-to-day site security function and activities for the high security processing plant. This includes but not limited to the delivery of professional level assistance with development, and management of security in the processing plant, the Critical Production Area (Gold Room) as well as security around the production of gold.
- To develop and manage security measures in the protection of company personnel, contractors, visitors, assets, processes, properties and products.
In This Role You Will
Plant Security Management
- Daily management of all security operations in the processing plant’s Critical Production Area (CPA) particularly the Gold Room.
- Provide operational advice on all Process Plant security issues.
- Troubleshoot Process Plant security issues, identify threats, vulnerabilities and develop mitigation strategies and recommendations in order to mitigate the identified risks.
- Develop Process Plant Security operational recommendations, analyzing requirements and develop solutions.
- Supervise the clean and orderly appearance of guards, and the cleanliness and maintenance of security offices, guard posts and the immediate area surrounding these buildings.
- Conduct security assessments for Akyem Process Plant.
- Identify criminality in the Process Plant and implement intelligence network to thwart efforts.
- Identify and raise shortcomings, and develop potential solutions for site inspections.
- Coordinate security solutions with fellow Newmont security supervisors and update the site Threat Risk Assessments.
- Keep abreast with best practices and emerging security technologies.
- Supervise storing and accounting for Newmont Golden Ridge Limited (NGRL) equipment issued to security personnel (inventory management).
- Periodically inspect electronic security devices and systems, including the Security Control Center (SCC) with contracted security force supervisor in attendance. The purpose of these inspections is to detect deficiencies and recommend corrective measures to the Site Security Manager.
- Conduct investigations on incidents that occur on the property, in conjunction with security investigators and, where necessary, law enforcement officials.
- Keep the Site Security Manager apprised of findings.
- Instruct security officers as to the appropriate response to incidents or unusual events.
- Communicate security problems or unusual events to the Site Security Manager.
Plant Security Projects
- Manage all Plant security related projects.
- Understand and assess Plant Security requirements for mining projects and developments.
- Review and recommend improvements for Gold Room security operations.
- Develop resource and security requirements for mining, plant projects and developments.
- Prepare weekly project progress report and project administration, and project tracking.
- Hold weekly project meetings and brief the Site Security Manager.
- Support commissioning of new electronic security equipment and systems.
- Provide advice and input on security requirements for shutdowns.
- Undertake to implement security measures in the Gold Room to protect gold production.
- Ensure personnel are trained and in compliance on the Voluntary Principles of Security and Human Rights (“the VPs”).
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of assigned NGRL contract security supervisors in managing access and egress of company property, patrols, surveillance, posts, monitoring security systems and response to alarms.
- Contribute to the identification, development and review of Akyem security contract tender specifications, performance requirements and measures.
- Identify security resource requirements for construction, repairs and operations.
- Manage the Process Plant aspect of the outsourced security contract including execution of security procedures and tasks to the appropriate standard at fixed installations, security operations center, investigative and analytical functions.
- Track contractor performance as per Service Level Agreement (SLA), manage and rectify any non-conformance and performance related to Process Plant security.
- Monitor and assess security related activities of NGRL contractors including monitoring the execution of procedures for gold shipments and precipitate transportation.
- Monitor the operating and administrative activities of the contracted security force including security equipment and implements assigned to personnel.
- Conduct security presentations for company personnel, contractors and contracted security personnel.
- Review security reports from subordinates and forward to the Site Security Manager.
- Amend and prepare security procedures, instructions, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other procedures and protocols.
- Prepare rosters, schedules and coordinate leave planning to ensure continuous and effective security force supervision and coordination.
- Ensure that all shifts have NGRL supervisors, and contracted supervisors are on duty or on call.
- Ensure that supervisors have a duty roster and work accordingly.
- Develop and implement training for subordinate staff.
- Ensure that continuous development and training is done for the SCC Operators and Supervisors.
- Conduct a security presentation for company personnel, contractors and contacted security force employees.
- Act as coordination point in emergency situations by staying apprised of Rapid Response System activities, monitoring emergency activities and responding as outlined in company procedure.
- Keep supervisors apprised of emergency situations with regular updates.
- Take control of security of the processing plant during emergency and direct employees to a safe and secured location.
- Act as the point of call during emergencies and report to the Site Security Manager.
- Ensure gold room emergency system is up to date and tested regularly.
Planning and Reporting
- Perform analyses, and prepare a consolidated monthly report for review by the Site Security Manager.
- Assist the Site Security Manager in developing operating budgets for the Security department.
- Manage Process Plant security aspect of the budget.
- Prepare and review reports prepared by security personnel and take follow-up action as necessary.
Safety and Compliance
- Drive safety culture in all aspects of security operations.
- Oversee and ensure that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and/or provide services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
- Ensure compliance with Ghanaian Law Regulations and Company Policy.
- Liaise with departments and contractors on badging issues and provide reports to the Site Security Manager.
- Supervise the storage, inventory and accounting of NGRL equipment issued to security personnel.
- Forward a consolidated monthly report to the Site Security Manager for further distribution and filing. This report shall include the status of vehicles, radios and chargers, telephones, other equipment when applicable.
- Ensure that all equipment and facility defects, damage, excessive vegetation overgrowth or any other issues that might influence effective security operations are identified and rectified.
- Liaise with police, justice department, company personnel, on-site contractors and contracted security employees on the security of the plant.
- Review security related documents to provide advice and interpretation of matters contained therein.
- Ensure safety, security and environmental inspections are completed as required.
- Endeavour to attend all Newmont mandatory trainings and ensure contractors attend these trainings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A minimum of First degree Honors in Security related field.
- Professional Diploma in Security.
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP) / Certified Security Management Profession (CSMP) is preferable.
- Any other recognized professional Security course.
- Knowledge of Gold Plant Security is preferrable.
- Knowledge and experience with electronic security systems is recommended.
- Advanced level in written and spoken English language is essential.
- Working knowledge of Ghana Criminal and Mine related Laws are essential.
- Knowledge and experience within the security industry is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant security experience.
- Experience in public security services is preferable.
- Strong Supervisory and Management experience.
- Must have a strong administrative background and functioning knowledge of procurement, budgeting and reporting.
- Knowledge in office accounting is preferrable.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong PC Skills, including MS Office, Word Excel, Power Point and outlook applications.
- Ability to deliver written reports with applicable statistics.
- Knowledge of vendors and suppliers applicable to the department.
- Knowledge of internal administration and communication processes, procedures and systems.
- Contract management experience.
- Information monitoring and management skills.
- Planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Administrative skills.
- Detail focused.
- Takes initiative.
- Results driven.
- Team player.
- Work effectively.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Required to work in office and field environments. May be required to travel and assist other domestic and international sites.
- May be required to travel and assist other domestic or international sites.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.