Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Mechanic Assistant
To provide semi-skilled assistance to support maintenance of mining equipment.
- Perform Maintenance Duties
- Assist Mechanics and Electricians (or others as directed) in the maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Provide equipment, shop and yard clean-up and maintenance services as directed.
- Maintain and manage maintenance work areas in a safe, clean, well-ordered condition.
- Provide labor necessary to load, transport and unload failed or otherwise defective equipment parts and components.
- Operate equipment and light vehicles as required.
- Provide labor necessary to complete equipment overhauls, rebuilds, repairs and services as directed by Supervisor.
- Participate in scheduled and unscheduled equipment services as directed.
2. Health and Safety Management
- Comply with all Newmont, Ghana and regulatory agency Health, Safety, Loss Prevention and Environmental procedures, requirements and standards.
- Operate in a safe manner and take steps to prevent minimal wear and tear and/or damage to equipment.
- Work without risk or harm to others.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Attend daily morning safety meetings.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.Additional Knowledge:
- General understanding of engineering and mine maintenance.Experience:
- Minimum of 1 year mechanical and / or electrical maintenance experience, preferably in a mining or industrial environment.Technical Skills:
- Basic communication (English written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and understand documentation.
- Behavioral Attributes:
- Manual dexterity.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with peers and supervisor.
- Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is frequently exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc. The incumbent will regularly lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
Incumbent occasionally has to work overtime.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.