Posted on :
2 Nov, 2018
2 Nov, 2018
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Plant Metallurgist
To provide technical support for the Akyem operation. This will involve the optimization of the metallurgical performance of the process plant according to budget KPI’s. By working in a safe and efficient manner in close liaison with the production department will monitor current performance, identify opportunities for improvement and work towards implementing solutions that will return a positive cash flow to the business
• Comply with all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
• Responsible to develop and implement programs to conduct routine metallurgically focused condition monitoring inspections with regards to mill liners, screen panels and cyclone wear parts.
• Responsible to implement and manage programs to optimize reagent usage, steel grinding media, consumables, screen panels and cyclone wear parts. This will also entail the coordination of groups such as process operations, process maintenance and supply chain.
• Responsible for the Planning of Mill Relines based on wear rates and the timely availability of critical wear components.
• Responsible to conduct ad hoc test work to support metallurgical projects, plant process optimization activities and for troubleshooting purposes.
• Responsible to complete and distribute required reports on time.
• Apply initiative and problem solving abilities. Apply knowledge to improve on current practices.
• Responsible to implement, develop and maintain metallurgical systems
OCS Mill Expert System (Maintain and implement new control strategies as required. Identify program shortcoming and improve).
• Establish and advise operating parameters to mill production personnel.
• Provide input to the Business Planning process, including reagent consumptions and wear rates of mill liners, screens panels and cyclone wear parts and consumables
• Assist Senior Metallurgist in maintaining and developing of metallurgical accounting practices.
• Develop and implement preventative maintenance and process plans to maximize efficiency and cost effectiveness of production
• Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the Processing MOS Elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role
Training & Experience
• Degree/Diploma in Extractive Metallurgy or similar.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in metalliferous mining
Skills & Abilities:
• Strong technical skills in metallurgical practices
• Highly skilled in Microsoft Excel/Word/Projects.
• High level of communication skills – verbal and written