Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Engineer Mining Consulting – Underground
To oversee the reserve reporting process for the underground mines in the region, coordinate projects and sites to confirm internal alignment with Newmont procedures and that they are completed on time. To provide mine designs, schedules and reports that comply with internal Newmont reserve reporting guidelines. To participate in the Strategic planning process for the region focusing on the underground (UG) projects and sites, and to provide UG planning scenarios that align with the goals of the process.
Information Management and Management Reporting
- Oversee the reserve reporting process for the underground mines in the region, coordinate projects and sites to confirm internal alignment with Newmont procedures and are completed on time.
- For all underground reserve and resources provide: analysis of costs and cut-off grades, mine designs, scheduling, cash flows, cost and productivity analysis, capital schedules documentation and reporting that comply with internal Newmont reserve reporting guidelines.
- Responsible for ensuring quality and accuracy of underground designs, coordinating reviews including site operations and engineering teams, geotech, hydrology and site management.
- Responsible for incorporating feedback from reviews into design work.
Strategy / Planning Process
- Participate in the Strategic planning process for the region focusing on the underground (UG) projects and sites.
- Maintain financial and cost modelling tools to support strategic planning work, financial valuations and M&A activities
- Incorporate site guidance into strategic plans, challenge assumptions and KPI’s where needed to ensure quality plans
- Provide UG planning scenarios that align with the goals of the process, and work with project and site teams to complete this work.
- Gain support from site for recommended plans, work with sites to address issues and implement plans where needed
- Communicate risks and opportunities to sites and region
- To assist with development of new tools as required
- Provide project financials that follow Newmont standards.
- Work with project directors to guarantee there are no gaps in financial analysis and cash flows.
- Lead execution of project financials.
- Certify compliance with Newmont standards.
- Remove road blocks, work with project teams to guarantee that project financials are accurately reflective, and any potential issues / opportunities are brought to the project directors attention for resolution / communication.
- Work with project teams to provide UG designs and schedules that align with stage gate requirements.
- Work with sites to improve planning and share best practices
- Mentor and coach open pit engineers across the region to improve mine planning processes
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- An Advanced Degree in Mine Engineering, with a Secondary Degree in Business preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of mine designs.
- Between 7 to 10 years of experience in underground mine planning, optimisation, and operations exposure to strategic planning preferred, in large and diversified mine sites or operations.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Advanced planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Leadership and management skills.
- Gap analysis and change management skills.
- Financial analysis skills and reporting skills.
- Mathematical skills.
- Motivational and negotiation skills.
- Presentation and training skills.
- Relationship Management skills.
- Technical reading and writing skills.
- Time management skills.
- Customer Focused.
- Regular travel is required.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.
- The incumbent is exposed to an environment where the need for detailed or precise work is extreme.
- The incumbent is exposed to extreme mental pressure.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.