Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Emergency Response Team (ERT) Captain
About This Role:
- Do you have sound understanding of Emergency Rescue Operations i.e., Hazmat recoveries, Fire Fighting, Confined Space Rescue and other emergency rescue response?
- Do you have the ability to mobilize and train a team in emergency rescue plan?
- Do you have effective planning and team management skills?
We are looking for a motivated, organized, disciplined and responsible individual to provide emergency response capabilities for the Ahafo North Project that focuses on protecting personnel, assets and the wider community (environment) while minimizing any potential detrimental impact that may ensue for the benefit of Newmont.
In This Role You Will:
Emergency Response Team (ERT) Program and System Execution
- Facilitate the implementation of Newmont ERT programs (i.e. fire, injuries, fatalities, Hazmat, recoveries, height rescues, confined spaces and ambulance services) to prevent and control loss due to emergency situations such as fire, hazardous chemicals and vehicle and/or heavy equipment accident response.
- Mobilize the team to respond to the emergency rescue plan system for permitted and high-risk activities, including working at heights, confined space entry, managing hazardous chemicals (i.e. transfer of cyanide).
- Administer site-wide drug and alcohol testing when required.
- Ensure that sufficient drug and alcohol testing kits are available to conduct the testing.
- Oversee the adherence of the ERT members to all standard operating procedures and protocols for all Emergency Response activities.
ERT Training Implementation
- Identify and nominate individuals that need to receive formalized fire safety training.
- Assist in the training and provide leadership to ERT Members and the development of programs to effectively deal with emergency situations (i.e. in Advanced First Aid, Extrication, Fire Fighting, Confined Space Rescue and High Angle Rope Rescue).
- Safeguard verified on-site fire permit certifications.
ERT Equipment Maintenance
- Provide report to the ERT Coordinator on the state of all ERT equipment, including fire detection and fire prevention equipment on site.
- Initiate maintenance requests required for the modification of ERT equipment.
ERT Communication and Stakeholder Management
- Assist in the implementation of effective response plan development, communication and coordination at all levels.
- Identify and maintain adequate levels of personal protective equipment (PPE) for all ERT staff through a thorough PPE inspection program.
- Ensure that the requisite PPE is provided to all ERT members to effectively address emergency situations.
ERT Data Entry and Reporting
- Provide data to be included in monthly reports compiled by the ERT Coordinator on all ERT activities carried out for the period.
ERT Project Execution
- Assist in the coordination of regular drills to reinforce training activities for both medical and ERT personnel.
- Participate in the review and updating of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) concerning new ERT equipment.
- Participate in providing feedback in periodic reviews after every simulation drill and/or actual event to assess the success of the response.
- Coordinate the rescue and recovery of both individuals and property by responding to emergency calls in a timely manner.
- Provide Team leadership to all Team members by:
- prioritizing and allocating tasks / responsibilities.
- checking and controlling the quality of work outputs.
- recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions.
- providing feedback and input into both HR and ERT team processes.
- enhancing communication with team through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings.
Health and Safety Project Execution
- Support with the successful delivery of the project execution plan.
- Facilitate inspections to verify that Health and Safety requirements and governmental legislation are being followed at all times.
- Partner with Project Managers, contractors, Health and Safety committee members and government inspectors to optimize the on-site safety programs and systems.
- Facilitate post-activity reviews to verify the implementation and effectiveness of established
- Participate in the Project Fatality Risk Management program.
- Support with the identification and replication of live work solutions.
Your Training, Skills and Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) / West African Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)
- Drivers license D (Heavy Vehicle Driving Permit).
- Basic Life Support Certificate is preferable.
- Prior knowledge in rope rescue techniques and First Aid administration.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years’ working experience in an Emergency Response environment.
- Vast knowledge in carrying out rescue operations.
- Previous Health and Safety experience is beneficial.
- Strong problem-solving and decision -making skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Strong planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Sound leadership and supervisory skills.
- Sound education and training skills.
- Sound information monitoring and management skills.
- Goal oriented.
- Team player.
- Safety conscious.
- Results driven.
- Attention to Detail.