Posted on :
10 Sep, 2021
10 Sep, 2021
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
Job Title: Project Accountant -Short Term
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Title Projects Accountant
Functional Area SHOW PROJECT
Reports to Project Manager
Dotted reporting line to the Head of Finance and Operations
Location Tamale Travel required 30%
Effective Date 01-11-2021 Grade D1
[A concise statement, capturing the primary reasons that this role exists and a clear articulation of the context of the role. How will this role contribute to creating lasting change for children?]
Working in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan aims to reach as many excluded/marginalized children as possible. Plan partners with key stakeholders and delivers high quality programs that address the barriers to children realizing their full potential.
This position is to support the successful implementation of the SHOW project in ensuring that all project operations are conducted as per the prescriptions of the Operations Manual (OM) and other approved policies and also in accordance to the donor’s procedures and policies.
Dimensions of the Role
[This section provides a summary of the size and authority of the post. It covers the size of the budget held, the numbers of direct reports, other key stakeholders who may depend on it, the type of communication required, the external representation involved and the reach of the role.]
Financial measures or statistics relevant to post such as budget; list of direct and indirect reports
• Controls and monitor the Project budget of GHS 3,585,144
• Area of Responsibility – SHOW Project
[This section is critical for clarifying expectations of the role, providing the framework for its relationship with colleagues and providing areas of accountability against which performance can be managed.
This should include a series of brief statements that define the end results required. eg. drive, contribute, identify, manage, responsible for, advise/coach, build, develop, provide, conduct, oversee, establish, participate etc.
Statements should ideally be worded so that they will lead to thoughts of measurement. For example, it is better to state something like “achieve maintenance standards” than “undertake maintenance”. The former leads to a measure against the maintenance standards.]
“What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
Prepares financial and other reports to aid the preparation of the overall project financial reports for dissemination and decision making. To do this, the position holder:-
• Ensures that project transactions are reviewed and correctly entered into SAP on a timely basis;
• Provides quarterly, year-end and other grants financial reports and analyses as per required instructions for management decision making;
• Ensures proper filing (electronic and hard copy) of grants financial reports;
• Assists the Project Manager in the preparation of quarterly and year-end financial schedules of the project;
• Consolidates and submits monthly community and partner visits reports received from Project Staff;
• Reviews project sub-ledger for all advances and prepaid expenses and follows up on outstanding advances;
• Monitors and reviews advance liquidation.
Budget preparation and Budgetary Control Support for the effective implementation of the SHOW project financial plans. To do this, the position holder will:-
• Be In charge of the preparation of the project budget and subsequent modifications
• Monitor project budget and modify when necessary;
• Consolidate monthly project budget and Financial Report;
• Maintain a budgetary control system to monitor grant budget vs. Expenditure and advise management on variances and corrective actions required to be taken;
• Respond to grants financial queries in liaison with the Head of finance and Operations, Business Development Manager and the Project Manager;
• Train/coach partner finance staff in delivery of job requirements to support grants compliance and financial reporting;
• Ensure Partner liquidations and financial reports are properly reviewed before further funds are advanced;
• Create standard report template for Plan’s partners to ensure consistency in reporting;
• Ensure compliance with best practices and donor specific requirements by Partners/Sub-grantees.
Coordinates Cash Forecasting for the SHOW project to ensure the availability of funds for project operations. To do this, the role will:
• Promptly transfer funds to Project bank accounts and ensure effective cash flow management;
• Ensure project bank accounts and cash balances never go negative by following up in a timely manner.
Operates the Plan International operation software to meet Plan’s/Donor spending and financial reporting requirements. To do this, the role will:
• Submit monthly cash forecast to the Country Accountant;
• Ensure that all approved Project budget account lines – donor account lines together with subsequent modifications are accurate in SAP;
• Undertake checks to ensure that all transactions are accurately entered into the SAP;
• Ensure the SAP monthly reports are printed and signed off;
• Analyze project balance especially expense accounts after system closure and effect the necessary corrections with the support of Project Manager.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the role will:
• Prepare the weekly payment list based on the Cash forecast requirement approved
• Project payments made as per approved policies and procedures.
• Review all the vouchers for completeness and documentation and arithmetic accuracy.
• Ensure cheques are not issued if they do not form part of the weekly payment list, exceptions should be approved by Head of Finance and Operations
• Prepare project financial audit action list after each audit and ensure compliance.
• Monitor and submit quarterly reports on project financial risk.
• Visits districts at least once a quarter to provide needed technical support to SHOW project team.
• Keeps Head of Finance and Operations informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
• Fulfills Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse
• Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
[This section refers to people inside and/or outside of the organisation that the post-holder needs to have contact with, and why. This should include virtual presence.]
• Medium contact with Plan partner organizations to ensure Plan receives value for money and the financial requirements are adhered to.
• Has high contact with all country office and program unit finance staff to support smooth implementation of the finance and accounting functions
• Maintains medium contact with other staff from the program unit office to offer support for compliance with finance and accounting procedures
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
[This section details the skills, knowledge and expertise the post holder will be required to demonstrate in doing the job well.
This should include clear levels of technical expertise and skills that support our work at national, international, and global level.]
Gained through education, training, & experience
Qualification and Experience
• University degree in Accounting plus ICA Ghana Part 2 or ACCA Foundation Level (Part 1 and Part 2), or equivalent.
• At least 5 years experience in a similar role.
• Fair knowledge of project management.
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the postholder to successfully perform the role:
– Communicates clearly and effectively.
– Ability to facilitate participative processes.
– Independence, objectivity and integrity.
– Organized, methodic and meticulous.
– Develops, motivates and coaches direct reports.
– Promotes innovation and learning.
– Gains, develops and retains credibility about his/her performance.
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
– Good management skills
– Sound problem-solving skills
– Good team player
– Good negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
– Proficient in Microsoft applications especially excel and pivot tables.
– Good communication skills both oral and written
– Good accounting, analytical and judgment skills
– Good supervisory and coordination skills
– Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
This position entails 40% travelling within the program unit.
Level of Contact with Children:
Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction
Low contact- the job responsibilities of this position does not require the post holder to have any one-to-one contact with children on a daily basis. There would be occasional contact with children and it is expected that children shall be protected at all times
Mode of Application:
Interested applicants who meet the job criteria should send their application letter and CV quoting only the Job Title in the subject line (i.e. Short Term Accountant – Show Project) to [email protected] The deadline for submission of application is close of business, Friday, 10th September, 2021.
All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Qualified Ghanaian nationals, especially female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
Plan International is an equal opportunities employer, committed to the protection of children and gender equality and our recruitment procedure reflects this. Selected applicants will be expected to comply with the child protection policy of the organization.