Standard Chartered Bank Ghana Limited is a market – leading financial services brand in Ghana, listed on the Ghana Stock Exchange.It has operated for 118 years in the country and is currently the highest priced stock on the exchange.The Bank’s focus and commitment to developing deep relationships with clients and customers have driven its consistent growth in recent years.
Job Title: Senior Credit Manager
- Participate and support SCO in optimisation of usage of available capital resources and the creation of a desired portfolio risk profile through the application, in conjunction with the business, of Portfolio Standards and Risk Appetite principles.
- Approve BCAs under personal delegated credit authority.
- Effective management and monitoring of underwriting and control disciplines to ensure good turnaround times, a well managed portfolio and the enforcement of credit risk policies.
- Management of all stakeholders including developing relationships with business partners and balancing the role with stakeholder expectations.
- Ensure to maintain a strong credit culture and the highest standards and apply all the credit policies
- Ensuring quick transparent escalation of important issues and providing critical and timely inputs to key risk forums.
- To ensure that quality of credit portfolio is maintained within acceptable parameters as defined by the group and local business strategy.
- Monitor and report excesses, breach of limit terms, early alert indicators and ensure that all such accounts are managed as per laid down procedures.
- Undertake regular customer visits to keep abreast of local market developments.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist with the formulation of annual Risk Appetite and Portfolio Standards in xxx through joint sponsorship with the business.
- Influence and monitor through use of Risk MI the shape and composition of the portfolio against approved Standards, and escalate breaches with recommendations for remedial action.
- To proactively manage the portfolio and improve the quality of the book by growing in acceptable sectors/client segments with top quartile names, acceptable credit grade and risk/reward profile in line with business strategy.
- To continuously monitor the portfolio through Leading Indicators, 80/20 and other Tail Management initiatives so as to manage down slackening sectors/ individual names.
- To analyse the portfolio on an ongoing basis to identify exposure/ industry concentration and undertake remedial measures to rebalance the same by preparing the monthly Portfolio Standard Tracker and reporting the breaches.
- To monitor and identify signs of deterioration on individual names with a view to commence early remedial management of these accounts and thereby minimise loan losses thus directly contributing to bottom line.
- Prepare monthly reports such as Portfolio Standard Tracker.
- Regularly review audit and CRR reports / KCIs & CSTs and identify key trends.
- Prepare all the inputs required from Credit Risk to assist the CCRO office.
- Produce data and analysis/commentary for the Risk Information Report (“RIR”).
- Maintain vigilance over data quality and drive ongoing improvement.
- Support CRC by Monitoring and reviewing the daily excess reports / CMS report (for documentation deficiencies) / monthly RB reports
- Ensure timely submission of various Credit Risk reports to Finance and Compliance for Regulatory Reporting to the respective Central Banks.
- Ensure timely submission of data to region on EAR updates, Local and Group Credit Policy Breaches.
- Ensuring that the quality of Credit Applications meets Group standards, particularly with regard to the completeness and depth of risk analysis.
- Assisting relationship managers in identification and managing up or out of accounts exhibiting signs of deterioration and assisting Special Assets Management, where appropriate, in managing substandard accounts to maximise recoveries and minimise losses.
- Support credit request (Transactions / BCAs / Waivers) to SCO / CCO
- Attend all credit training required and needed.
- Liaise with internal, external and Central Bank auditors for the provision of information and discussions on portfolio quality and management issues as and when required.
Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of a first degree in any discipline. An MBA /CA/CFA with experience in treasury/relationship management/consultancy and risk management will be added an advantage;
- At least five (5) years experience in Banking with functional experience in Corporate Banking Credit Risk Management.
- Good communication skills – written and oral;
- Good knowledge and grasp of banking practice, financial markets, Basel II and ICAAP, risk appetite, and portfolio management techniques;
- Hands on knowledge of the regulatory frameworks within the region;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to influence and resolve disputes. Enjoy decision making and have sense of ownership;
- Multi cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Command respect of cross functional peers and business heads working in open ended situations;
- Good working relations with Regulators.