Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate?
Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country? Do you thrive on driving the end-to-end delivery of transformative projects?
We are looking to hire an exceptional Programme Manager with experience and expertise across technology and government advisory. The Programme Manager will coordinate the implementation of a suite of technology, digitisation and innovation initiatives with the Government of Ghana.
The post holder will coordinate the implementation of several high priority Technology projects defined under the Ghana CARES programme. Areas include among others, Common National Digital Architecture, National Innovation Centres, HealthTech and AgTech.
Focused on delivering TBI’s Tech for Development (T4D) programme in Ghana, the post holder will join a fast-growing team to catalyse Ghana’s health system resilience, manufacturing and job creation agenda and economic transformation through digitalisation.
The role involves managing the day-to-day relations with key governmental interlocutors and project-, Tech Ecosystem- and TBI internal stakeholders. The Programme Manager will play a key role in engaging with TBI’s internal teams, such as the T4D Global Central Team leading on key reporting products, as well as supporting recruitment for Ghana. The postholder will report to the Head of Tech for Development, Ghana.
This is a key role requiring a candidate with relevant expertise in Tech, proven experience in project management, the right skills, personality, and drive to deliver in a complex and sensitive government environment.
This is an initial fixed term role of one year.
Job Title: Programme Manager, Technology for Development
Key outcomes of the role
- Tech for development programme delivers expected results, 3-5 collaboration/projects underway and a smooth channel to multiple Ministries and other key players in the Ghanaian Tech space. Deployment of advisory, solutions ranging from the implementation of middleware Technology, Entrepreneurial innovation projects to AgTech, HealthTech and Digital ID projects
- In country T4D portfolio planned against global strategic results framework, staffed with engaged and results oriented people, and effectively managed to deliver expected results with Ministries and key stakeholders
- An operational workplan developed; tools in place and utilised to track and monitor status and impact across implementations
- Effective and trusted relationships established with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors
- Tangible results delivered for the Government of Ghana, including in areas of Ag Tech; Health Tech and innovation
- Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our tech for development global offer and playbook;
- Expenditure in line with budget
- Deliver on key internal reporting deadlines and providing updates to the Global T4D Team
- Alignment with TBI various internal system, i.e. (Monday.com, Institute Wiki, etc.)
- Planning: Working closely with Head of Tech for Development, design, maintain and continually improve country project plans and tools to roll out our initiatives from one tech domain to another, with one ministry or more, across government and in country with other stakeholders
- Execution and Monitoring: Under the direction of the Head of Tech for Development, pro-actively manage and monitor project goals, plans, risks, issues, stakeholders and KPIs. Where relevant, ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are followed
- Government Relations: Support the Head of Tech for Development to maintain effective and trusted relationships in government of Ghana in line with the country project strategy and positioning, and in service of the overall TBI mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and TBI’s Tech for Development initiative
- People: Support the recruitment and management of team staff, as required. The post holder will be expected to develop strong working relationships.
- External Relations (non-governmental): Support the Head of Tech for Development to engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers, and agencies as directed. One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Head Tech for Development Ghana, and form part of the wider country project team and global Tech for Development team. Engage with other T4D colleagues providing Program Management delivery advisory to government and generate cross-country learnings and best practice contributing to a broader learning culture within the programme
- Internal Reporting: The Programme Manager will support the Head of Tech on internal reporting, by leading on key reporting products for the Ghana T4D team, such as reporting Objectives and Key Results, providing internal updates on T4D workstreams and reporting against the T4D strategic framework
We are looking for an experienced programme manager:
- With experience in Government, business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- With a minimum of 7 years’ experience in management consulting or government advisory
- With prior experience in developing countries, especially Sub-Saharan Africa
- With experience in public affairs or government relations
- Who commits to Programme’s objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- With some understanding of and experience in Tech architectures, Tech solutions and Tech ecosystems
- With the ability to work under pressure, and to coordinate with teams and multi-disciplinary advisors
- With strong communication and project management skills
- Who can work flexibly and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground
- With a bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Prior work experience with the Government of Ghana is highly desirable
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
- Fluency in English required
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results