The FMS will report to the Regional Financial Management manager (RFMM) who is part of the core team Africa Region Operational Services Team in Washington, DC. The FMS will work from the World Bank Country Offices in Sierra Leone/Liberia, and assist in all financial management (FM) aspects related to the World Bank’s lending operations to its clients. The FMS will perform as a member of the various Task Teams of the World Bank financed projects, and in addition lead special purpose initiatives.
Job Title: Financial Management Specialist
Duties and Accountabilities:
The FMS is expected to assume the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assess the adequacy of the Borrower’s project financial management systems and their ability to manage and monitor World Bank financial projects. This includes budgeting, policies and procedure, internal controls, accounting, financial reporting and auditing;
- Carry out supervision work to ensure that projects financial arrangement systems are functioning appropriately, including the review of periodic interim financial reports.;
- Assess the selection and engagement of auditors with all the relevant information (including Terms of Reference and Bank requirements) necessary to carry out their engagement;
- Review audited financial statements received, monitor the Borrower’s compliance with financial covenants including audit compliance, ensure adequate communication with the Borrower and the project implementing agencies with respect to audits and advise as appropriate;
- Provide advice and support to Borrower and the World Bank Task Teams on matters affecting financial management;
- Provide financial management guidance for the development of technical assistance programs and evaluate and monitor their implementation;
- Provide guidance and advice to borrowers and Bank staff on capacity building in projects and with public secor accountability institutions;
- Assess the financial and operational viability of implementing entities (e.g. with respect to revenue earning entities), and to advise on the design and use of financial performance covenants;
- Monitor implementation of the agreed action on Public Financial Management, and provide technical advice to the Government in the implementation of reform actions;
- Complete/update country financial management strategy;
Required Skills or Experience
The World Bank is looking for a Financial Management Specialist (FMS) who is a professional accountant (CPA, CA or equivalent), with a relevant experience in financial management (FM). Public Sector experience would be an advantage.
The FMS should be a professional accountant (CPA, CA or equivalent) with preferably a Master’s degree in accounting, business, finance or economics, and a minimum of 5 years of post-qualification experience in financial management. Also, the ideal candidates should have:
- Knowledge of International Accounting Standards and International Standards on Auditing;
- Experience and in-depth familiarity with public sector financial management (highly desirable);
- Experience with internal audit and internal control systems and procedures (including familiarity with COSO), with the ability to assess such systems and recommend remedial action where necessary;
- A good understanding of the review of financial statements including statements which link financial to non-financial information
How To Apply
For the FULL job description and Selection criteria for the vacancy, qualified candidates are requested to visit and submit an electronic application at the World Bank careers website: www.worldbank.org/careers. Once on the site, click on > Current Job Openings > Job Title > Financial Management Specialist > Job Family > Financial Management > Job Type > Professional & Technical > Job number > 131433 for Liberia; 131434 for Sierra Leone.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.