Posted on :
17 May, 2016
17 May, 2016
The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) is working with African governments, donors, NGOs, the private sector and African farmers to significantly and sustainably improve the productivity and incomes of resource poor farmers in Africa through agricultural development targeted at resource poor farmers. AGRA has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a regional office in Accra, Ghana and is opening several country-based offices.
Company: Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
Job status: Full-Time
Experience: 7 years
Job expires: 20 May-2016
• AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to fill the position of Programme Officer Markets and Harvest,
• The position is internationally recruited, based in Accra, Ghana on a three year renewable contract
• The Programme Officer for Markets and Harvest Management will work to create market opportunities for farmers; to strengthen and develop new market institutions, especially SME grain trading companies, to improve the efficiency of agricultural markets;
• To reduce transaction costs and risks facing poor farmers;
• To expand income opportunities from value added market activities;
• To lower the price of food for consumers, especially for poor net-buyers of food in rural and urban markets.
• The goal is to link at least 9 million smallholder farmers in five years to profitable local, regional and international markets, ultimately expected to improve the lives of 21 million people through partnerships.
• She will work closely with the other programme officers, Markets & Harvest to develop initiatives that translate smallholder farm activity gains into increased incomes.
• She will design and implement grant- making activities that address constraints to value chain actors’ knowledge and behaviour change.
• Develop implement and scale-up agricultural output market access approaches that directly benefit smallholder farmers.
• Develop an approach to reform national and regional policies and institutions to facilitate agricultural market development and trade.
• Develop and support innovative value chain approaches that increase the participation of smallholder farmers in local, regional and global trade flows.
• Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with private sector grain traders.
• Maintain up-to-date market analysis for staple food crops in targeted countries and strengthen grain trade.
• Identify, support and guide efforts that enable smallholder farmers to sell their products and capture value from downstream activities (e.g. market information systems).
• Lead efforts to facilitate economic transactions between value chain players and smallholder farmers in Africa.
• Develop and support multi-disciplinary networks of individuals and organlsations that promote linking smallholder farmers to markets.
• Represents the Head in diverse fora
• Technical programme lead and deputises the Head. Markets & Harvest Management Provides leadership in key initiatives (country team leader, project lead)
• Provide market-led support in the integrated strategy to the West Africa Regional Head.
• Develop and support programmes for training the next generation of agri-business leaders in Africa .
Qualification Required & Experience
• An advanced degree (Masters) in Agricultural Economics, Business, or related disciplines, A proven manager able to develop and implement innovative solutions to markets and develop agribusiness linkages which serve poor farmers.
• At least 7 years of experience leading agribusiness and development efforts, partially or wholly in Africa with at least 3 years in West Africa. Direct private sector experience a plus.
• Experience in managing multinational initiatives in the private and public sector.
• A solid understanding of agricultural commodity markets and value-added products.
• A solid understanding of farmer incentives that influence the adoption of technologies and market linkages and an ability to work with national and regional agricultural institutions and governments to accelerate technology uptake, agricultural trade development at national, regional and/or international levels.
• A sound understanding of underlying demand and supply
• challenges in Africa, and an ability to lead local partners to implement high-impact programmes to solve these challenges.
• A sound understanding of innovative ICT platforms that are friendly and easy to use by smallholder farmers
• A sound understanding of warehouse receipt system, commodity exchange and trading Sound project management experience
• Must be proficient in English and French
How To Apply For The Job
For more information on this position, applicants can visit www.agra.org
• If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application in hard copy or soft with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts), photocopies of academic certificates and testimonials, and names of three referees with their full contact details.
• Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than 5.00 p.m. local time on May 20, 2016.
• An attractive remuneration package as per the approved AGRA’s salary structure commensurate with the responsibilities of the job will be availed to the right candidate.
Deloitte & Touche, Ghana
Ibex Court, 4 Liberation Road
Ako Adjei Interchange
P.O Box GP4S3
Closing Date: 20 May, 2016