Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Process Mechanical General Foreman – Akyem
Manage, supervise and coordinate process plant mechanical supervisors, maintenance technicians, and also to support career development for mechanical apprentices. Manage mechanical maintenance work to ensure that availability goals are attained so that safe production plans are achieved.
- Comply with the Mine Regulation Act and Regulations clauses that apply to your work area.
- Ensure statutory requirements are met.
- Assign and coordinate tasks for your team members.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
- Manage and coordinate daily corrective actions.
- Work with maintenance supervisors to achieve process plant equipment efficiency and availability.
- Build, develops and manages mechanical team capable of carrying out needed engineering initiatives.
- Assist in conducting failure analysis studies and recommend alternative strategies for maintenance.
- Assist or liaise with Administrative Coordinator in communicating maintenance mission, vision, goals and objective to maintenance workforce.
- Contribute to a climate of mutual respect, team spirit and team identity.
- Setting up of workshop for rebuilding equipment by providing hand on assistance during maintenance activities to ensure safe work practices are followed.
- Approve requisition, purchasing of items at the warehouse and searching of parts, estimated time of arrival of items to know how jobs should be prioritized.
- Assist in the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STP’s).
- Conduct performance appraisals six monthly.
- Work with operation supervisors on the best practices to get tasks done without affecting production.
- Liaise with planning on backlog, scheduling, equipment shutdown planning and resource.
- Liaise with maintenance management to identify training needs of the mechanical employees workforce.
- Ensure all employees receive appropriate training to enable them to undertake their roles as diligently, efficiently and safely as possible.
- Liaise with Administrative Coordinator in updating job descriptions and ensuring each worker is aware and well informed of their job description.
- Liaise with senior management to get information flow to the maintenance workforce and vice visa.
- Identify and eliminate or report any wasteful practices.
- Understand the objectives of the mill production personnel and refer any disagreement to Maintenance Superintendent.
- Ensure any training or skill deficiencies the team may have are discussed with and addressed with maintenance management.
- Fair allocation of tasks whenever possible.
- Participate in call out roster.
- Manage the Management Operating System (MOS) on the processing plant. This role: Takes ownership of the following MOS elements:
- Is accountable for achieving and maintaining level 3 maturity for MOS elements identified as ‘Accountable” in MOS RACI chart. This includes
- Manage the Management Operating System (MOS) for Processing Maintenance at the processing plant. This role: is accountable for achieving and maintaining level 3 maturity for MOS elements identified as ‘Accountable” in MOS RACI chart.
- Takes ownership of the following MOS elements:
- Identify New Work (MN10)
- Assign Work (MN11,M2)
- Execute Work (MN12)
- Supervise Work (MN13)
- Daily Analysis & Review (MN14,M3)
- Job Analysis & Finalization (MN17)
- Capture Job Feedback (MN9)
- Shift H’over & Line out Planning (MN34,M1)
- Short Interval Control (GEN01)
- Is responsible for:
- The completion of all tasks identified in the Ahafo MOS to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
- Resolving MOS Element non-conformances by direct intervention/coaching wherever possible or referring non-conformances to Superintendents and Manager for resolution if immediate efforts are not successful.
- Taking action on identified improvement opportunities to the MOS Element.
- Ensuring that all MOS Element documentation is current and approved changes to the MOS Element are communicated to all involved stakeholders.
- Inducting new team members in their respective MOS elements.
- Participate in interviews of prospective employees and conduct orientation for newly hired Supervisors.
- Assist with the training and development of the Supervisors and ensure team employees are being developed in accordance with Newmont people development programs. Conduct employee performance appraisal at least quarterly.
- Administers discipline, and enforces company policies and procedures as required.
- Development of the process Maintenance SOP’s, management plans and maintenance procedures, guidelines.
- Motivate teams in fostering a solid team atmosphere while maintaining a safe and disciplined work environment.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Position is located in a remote location
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Employee will occasionally lift approximately 20 kg.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of the job, employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climbing.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Exposure to hazardous materials e.g. Caustic-corrosive, climbing, working at height, aerosols, dust, pinch point, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Work requires you to wear mandatory PPE such as Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, High visible clothing, safety harness, hearing protection, etc.
- Mechanical Trade, or Degree or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
- 10-12 years metal ferrous plant maintenance experience with a minimum of 5 years gold processing plant experience.
- 3 years Supervisory experience (Manager of others).
Skills & Abilities
- Strong working knowledge in Maintenance of processing plant equipment.
- Strong knowledge and experience in crushing, milling, pumps, agitators and material handling systems and fabrication/welding applications.
- Experience in project management.
- Technical skills in engineering management, quality assurance and cost controls and analysis.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at functional level.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Demonstrate ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.