Posted on :
16 Aug, 2016
16 Aug, 2016
Teach For Ghana is a nationwide movement of solution-driven leaders expanding educational opportunity to all children in Ghana.
We recruit Ghana’s most promising future leaders from varied disciplines to teach in Ghana’s underserved rural communities through a highly selective, two-year fellowship. The Teach For Ghana fellowship is a rewarding and critical leadership program that equips Fellows with transferable leadership skills to effect change in teaching practice, school culture, and educational outcomes in the communities we serve. Post fellowship, alumni of the program build on their classroom teaching experience to drive long-term systemic changes in the educational sector in Ghana as they progress into leadership roles in their varied private, public and educational sector professions.
Job Title: Manager, Leadership Development
Reporting to the Director of Fellowship and Alumni Impact, the Leadership Development Manager (LDM) will lead trainings and support Fellows in our regions of operation and beyond. The LDM will be responsible for coaching a case load of Fellows, supporting Fellows both inside and outside the classroom, increasing their leadership capacity, fostering a strong cohort culture, working to monitor and maximize their impact, and performing other duties when necessary.
The Fellowship and Alumni Impact Team develop and support Fellows and Alumni to achieve transformative systemic change in Ghana. And, bridge classroom and system leadership— enabling the organization to build the reflective capacity necessary to accelerate impact over time and ultimately bring about more equitable outcomes for an ever greater number of children.
Key Measures of Success:
• Cohort Culture-Facilitate a trusting, collaborative, and meaningful experience: Fellow retention
and experience are used as benchmarks.
• Student Impact-Ensure students in TFG classrooms are experiencing an education that places
them on an enduring transformational path.
• Leadership Development-Build leadership capacity of TFG Fellows both in and outside the classroom with a focus on both the short term classroom impact and long term leadership development
• Strong understanding of TFG’s short and long term theory of change.
• Proven success increasing effectiveness in the classroom that lead to increased student achievement.
• Understanding of the Ghanaian educational landscape, context, and curriculum.
• Outstanding team building skills and the ability to address challenges with creative solutions.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to assess, prioritize and manage a varied and demanding workload across a fast-paced, multi-functional team.
• Strong written, analytical, and verbal communication skills.
• Strong research experience, particularly with data tracking and evaluation.
• Commitment to excellence and accuracy, with an ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong time management skills, and flexibility, in order to accommodate multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines.
• Maturity, humility, strong work ethic and a high sense of possibility.
• Strong emotional stability and adaptability when faced with rejection or stressful situations.
• Communication skills necessary to function productively in a start-up interdisciplinary team with a “flat” organizational structure.
• Working towards achieving an Authentic and Collective Vision
• Support strategic vision to ensure Fellows achieve academic and non-academic growth in the
• Building Meaningful Relationships
• Build a strong rapport with and among Fellows enhancing their Fellowship experience.
• Support Fellows as they build and maintain an engaging and positive relationship with the communities we serve.
• Plan, coordinate, and deliver professional development workshops which include content and pedagogy based trainings.
• Support the design and delivery of Training Institute and ongoing support mechanisms throughout the 2-year Fellowship journey.
• Evaluate classroom impact and co-create strategies to increase effectiveness that align to vision
• Supporting with Enduring Values
• Work with a high degree of conviction, optimism, continuous learning and integrity to align actions to meet desired goals for transformational impact in the lives of students and communities TFG serves.
Educational Background and Work Experience:
• Graduate /Professional Degree in Education or a related field, preferred.
• Undergraduate Degree with 2-years teaching experience in an underserved school or non profit sector serving school age children, preferably junior high school students, desired.
• Experience delivering meaningful, and high impact lessons and workshops.
• Experience with English Language Acquisition Strategies, desired.
Competitive within the Ghanaian market.
How to apply:
Please apply through the careers page on the Teach For Ghana website: www.teachforghana.org/ careers.
Please address these three questions in your cover letter:
1. Why do you want to be part of Teach For Ghana? What would you hope to accomplish as part of the Teach For Ghana team?
2. Describe a time when you encountered serious challenges to success while working on a project?
3. Which of our Core Values can you best identify with and why?