Posted on :
15 Sep, 2016
15 Sep, 2016
Established in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO which is at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realise a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens. Visit www.yesghana.org for more information.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative, which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana is leading on the awareness creation, sensitization & mobilisation, and also enrolment of eligible youth onto the programme.
Job Title: Field Assistant
YES-Ghana is seeking Field Assistants to provide support to a team of Field Supervisor and Field Officer in Kumasi and its surrounding communities who will be required to promote the project to young people in the target group through various awareness creation events in order to sensitize and recruit participants for a training programme on technical and non-technical construction skills. They will assist with the screening of applicants wishing to join the programme, and with maintaining records of participants. Field Assistants will report to the Field Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the team with promoting and raising awareness about the project to youths in local communities:
• Undertake community outreach activities by liaising with community leaders and doing door-to-door outreach
• Assist to organise mobilisation activities to recruit participants to the training programme.
Data Entry, Data Management and Record keeping
• Assist in screening and interviewing applicants to assess their eligibility to be enrolled onto the project.
• Assist in collecting baseline data from participants though surveys and interviews.
• Under the supervision of the Field Supervisor, maintain records of participant details using both paper records and data entry into the Participant Management Database.
• Under the supervision of the Field Officer, file and manage filling systems of all field and participant log forms completed.
• Answer and make phone calls to prospective participants of the programme.
• Assist in making regular phone calls to all participants of the programme before and during their trainings.
• Assist in the monitoring of trainings as and when needed.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Field Supervisor or Field officer.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Some experience volunteering with youth groups, either as a youth leader in your community or as a youth participant (at school, a church group, a local community centre).
• Experience participating in or organising youth-focussed activities highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Some experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases would be a plus.
Skills & Personal Attributes
• Fluency in English and Twi.
• Ability to work well independently and to use initiative.
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people skills.
• Highly organised with good time management skills.
• A flexible approach– the ability to volunteer at evenings and weekends is a must.
• Interest in working with youth in Ghana.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
• Familiarity with a variety of local communities in and around Kumasi.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles, including strict adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
• Willing to travel to different communities within Kumasi and surrounding communities.
• Only candidates who reside in or around KUMASI and are willing to travel to and fro all its surrounding communities will be considered for this role.
• Candidates must have no criminal record particularly in relation to the abuse of children and youth. Background checks will be conducted.
• Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and a recent brief CV bearing your contact details and two references to:
Please use FIELD ASSISTANT – KUMASI as the subject line of the email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 02 October, 2016