AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Paste Plant Laboratory Technician / Sampler.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
On a Pastefill plant, operational efficiency investigations and quality control and assurance is of paramount interest to the process. To help achieve the QA/QC requirement of the paste, there will be the need for material sampling throughout the process cycle, submitted to the laboratory for geotechnical testworks to be done. Most decisions if not all, that leads to quality control, quality assurance and technical forecasting of potentials within the operations, emanate from the laboratory.
The role holder is expected to have a very broad understanding of the activities on the plant and be creative in his/her thinking. The role holder is expected to have good technical appreciation of laboratory works by training and or years of experience. The incumbent maybe required to also work at the process plant as the situation demands. He/she will be reporting to the Pastefill Plant Process Supervisor with technical support from the geotechnical team.
- Actively promote and partake in all Health, Safety and Environmental programs as set out by AGAG Obuasi.
- Accountable for his or her own safety and the safety of all employees on the mine including his laboratory team.
- Accountable to report any unsafe situation, non-conformances, hazards, near misses, accidents and incident, including property damage to the appropriate authorities.
- Comply with all AGAG-Obuasi security protocols especially that governing the process plant and ensure strict adherence of same by his sectional operators.
- Comply with Legal Instruments (LI’s) and Codes as laid down by the Republic of Ghana that guides plant operational activities.
- Maintain a clean work environment (Housekeeping) at all time. He/she shall observe “everything in its rightful position at all times” attitude in his/her area of work.
- The sampler/technician should have the ability to conceive improvement ideas, write procedures to support its execution under supervision.
- He or she must be able to take sound decisions from many variables and complex situations that arise from laboratory activities.
- Conduct paste, tailings sampling and report to Control room and Technicians
- Contribute positively to improvement initiatives on the plant and shall not hold back any of such ideas for the benefit of the company.
- Adopt cost control measure to laboratory activities including all consumables, reagents, PPEs, procurements, etc.
- Prepare samples for and conduct PSD analysis.
- Classify samples in the curing chamber
- Ensure that shotcrete samples are collected in due time for testing in the laboratory
- Record, report and analyse accurately the needed laboratory information for onward submission
- Constant assessment and challenging of the status quo to identify opportunities to guide operations to a more efficient output.
- He/she must always be prepared to work varying work rosters and will be required for additional works and training at the central Metallurgical laboratory as the situation may demand.
- Must exhibit leadership by example, maintain discipline and performance management among the members under his span of control.
- Help maintain all calibration requirements of all laboratory equipment, gauges and update stocks of consumables for timely replenishment.
- Assist shift supervisors in ensuring sampling protocols on the plant and in the lab are duly followed and give feedback on gaps as identified.
- Validate all sample submissions to third party labs including both SGS labs, periodic reconciliation of external lab services and ensuring the right feedback.
- Handle and manage hazardous chemicals
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the plant supervisors and the geotechnical engineers.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of secondary school certificate. Science background will be an advantage.
- • Basic First Aid Certification will be a plus
- At least 3 years’ experience in Metallurgical or related laboratory operations.
- Two years process plant operational experience
- Excellent reading, writing and oral communication skills.
- Paying attention to details.
- Analytical skills and ability to use Microsoft office suite
- Time management
- Strong and proven decision-making skills.
- Should be able to work with little or no supervision.
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills.