Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
Job Title: Communications & Media Specialist
S/he will act as the communications lead for Ghana Innovating, maintaining up to date knowledge and communication resources for the project. In particular, the post will be tasked with delivery of the communications strategy for the project to promote family reading with young children at the household and community level.
She/he will work very closely with GES and project staff and have overall responsibility for managing the production and distribution of the project’s communications materials, at both regional and national level. She/he will also maintain the project website, and work with staff on communications capacity building. This position is located in Accra, Ghana.
- Work with SBCC specialist to develop project communication plan
- Work with literacy experts to develop thematic content on topics related to the importance of mother-tongue literacy, parental involvement in school, early grade literacy and the culture of reading
- Work with media subcontractors to produce relevant print, radio, video and electronic media materials
- Work with media outlets to distribute communication materials in digital and traditional media formats
- In consultation with the funder and partners, develop and schedule public conversations/lectures about literacy at different venues including universities, MOE and school communities.
- Maintain visible and ongoing national and regional presence through ongoing media campaign about literacy which includes:
- Columns on newspapers
- TV/radio spots
- Community promotions and
- Sponsored discussions, debates, discussions about literacy/reading
- Develop a newsletter and issue papers/briefs, reports (could be monthly, quarterly) and a targeted circulation plan
- Use social media and cutting edge technologies to promote program and reach audiences
- Link with the private sector to promote program goals and set medium to long-term strategy partnerships.
Qualifications And Requirements
- Masters Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related disciplines,
- 5 years of relevant experience preferred, and have proven writing and communications skills.
- The position requires a keen instinct to know what is news- worthy and makes for strong copy.
- additionally, qualified candidates must be detail oriented, flexible, have strong multi-tasking, organizational and problem solving skills, work well in a team atmosphere and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong creative writing, oral, and grammatical skills are required. Excellent people and verbal communication skills
Application Contact And Details To Apply
This is a local Ghana position. The salary, currency and benefits (if applicable) follow EDC’s Ghana’s policies and standards. There is no relocation available with this position.
Posted on: 9/16/2016
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.