Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; Western Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade system and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organisation.
Job Title: Regional Communications Officer – West Africa Network
- TEAM: Regional (West Africa)
- JOB FAMILY: Regional
- FAIRTRADE AFRICA PURPOSE: To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers.
- REPORTING LINES: Post holder reports to: Operations Manager
- LOCATION: Abidjan or Accra
- BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
OVERALL JOB DESCRIPTION
- The Communications Officer will lead in the development and implementation of the internal and external communication strategy in the region, while supporting same at the continental level.
- The post holder will, among others, write and disseminate publicity materials, coordinate promotional events and support the Executive Director and/or Head of Region respond to inquiries from the public and media.
- Work with the Head of Region and regional team, and the External Communication and PR Officer in Secretariat to develop, implement and evaluate all regional external communications strategies to promote advocacy issues with key stakeholders, including government, NFO bodies, service providers, and media.
- Support in the development of an annual communication plan within the specific region.
- Support in the implementation of FTA’s communication policy engagement and communications.
- Develop press materials including press statements and releases, and information kits/fact sheets.
- Implement a robust regional media management strategy that includes establishing and sustaining links and contact with relevant journalists within the region to increase awareness of FTA work amount journalists.
- Identify news worthy information within the region to share with the media
- In liaison with the External Communication and PR officer, organise and manage quarterly media briefing engagements to convey information to journalists on ongoing or new FTA projects within the region.
- Respond to media inquiries and arrange interviews
- Provide technical support and guidance to Producer Organisations to proactively plan for media visits and respond to negative media reports
- Maintain records of regional media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Support the External Communication and PR Officer in managing crisis communication as it arises within the region.
- Analyse M&E reports and generate impact stories for publication on newsletters, website and social media.
- Lead in the production of regional publications; newsletter, annual reports, project profiles, product brochures. Etc. in liaison with the External Communication and PR officer, and support same at the continental level.
- Lead in the regional planning of events, media and communication related workshops and press conferences.
- Oversee regional production of merchandising and branding materials.
- Undertake an evaluation of each event, maintaining accurate data, including reviewing and reporting against the objectives of the various events.
- Support in the development and production of regional content for the FTA website, social media and print publications.
- Support in the roll out of effective internal communications mechanisms to ensure that news and events are known internally and publicised externally as appropriate.
- Support in the strengthening of staff capacity by implementing on boarding and learning initiatives.
- Facilitate media training workshops for regional staff and liaise with External Communication and PR Officer to do same for Senior Leadership and Management teams
- Create and manage a producer mailing database in liaison with Regional MEL Officer
- Support the External Communication and PR Officer in identification, development and sharing of impact stories with producers, donors and NFOs.
- Support the interpretation of reports and make recommendation to M&E.
- Ensure full compliance with procurement requirements, including timely issuance of purchase orders and correct invoice processing on all media and communication related procurements
- Liaise with the finance team continuously to ensure spend accuracy and management of the communication budget.
- Ensure full compliance in the ways of working with all agencies or suppliers at all times, including the timely and accurate execution of relevant contracts.
Required Skills or Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or in Mass communications
- At least 4 years work experience in communications, writing and content creations, preferably in an NGO setting
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills
- Negotiation and networking skills
- Technical skills in publications production and design
- Experience in using social media channels and extending their reach
How to Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15th March, 2019
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website http://www.fairtradeafrica.net/about-us/jobs-and-volunteering/ . Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name, and the position (WAN Regional Communication Officer) and emailed to the designated email address ([email protected]). The subject/Title of the email should be WAN Regional Communication Officer. All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form and email to [email protected]. If you have any queries, please call +233 24 3866 854/ +233 20 9196 075 and +254 20 2721 930 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team. Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as condition of employment