Applications are invited from suitably qualified staff for the post of DEPUTY MANAGING DIRECTOR (OPERATIONS)
To plan, direct and control water supply and operations of Ghana Water Company Limited; and co-ordinate centralized operation support services to Regions, and specified operational services to Head Office.
Reporting to: Managing Director, GWCL
- Develop policies, set standards, direct and guide Regional Management on all operational matters, civil, mechanical and electrical engineering, operation and maintenance of plant and equipment; ensure the provision of physical assistance where this cannot be procured locally; in order that all Regions operate their assets and provide services in an efficient technically sound manner.
- Set targets for water supply; monitor and evaluate the performance of the Regions, report accordingly to the Managing Director recommending action if appropriate and advising Regional Management on remedial measures where required, thus ensuring operational performance is optimized and the Managing Director and Board fully informed on Regional performance.
- Evaluate project proposals from Regions; prioritize and schedule all projects in accordance with the Board’s criteria and available funding; provide specialist assistance to Regions as required; approve design and tender documents of projects above Regional limits, so that the best use is made of project resources available.
- Direct and guide the Regions to achieve continuing improvements in employee productivity through redeployment and other means, so that Regions are at all times operating within an establishment consistent with maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Provide a central expert service to Regions for water development, comprising water resource engineering, hydrogeological expertise, and civil engineering service to_
- Provide and maintain an efficient transport service to Head Office to facilitate the movement of people, goods, equipment, materials and communications involved in Head Office activities
- Provide a major workshop capability serving more than one Region to supplement Regional facilities when it is economic to do so, thus ensuring the most efficient use of equipment and resources.
- Support the Managing Director in his externally directed activities particularly in relation to technical, engineering, operation and development, deputize for the Managing Director as required, so as to ensure continuity of direction at the highest level.
- Continuously improve the efficiency of Head Office Operations branch, and actively promote efficiency improvements in all aspects of Ghana Water Company Limited’s water and operations to the benefit of customers, employees and the general economy.
- Lead and motivate all staff within Head Office Operations Directorate; ensure they develop their skills, knowledge and experience through their work to the fullest possible extent; manage the Directorate in such a way that the requisite number of employees with the ability to carry out their work efficiently and effectively are attracted and retained, and ensure all employees within the Directorate share the goals and aspirations of Ghana Water Company Limited and work towards achieving them.
Required Skills or Experience
- A recognized University Degree of Professional qualification in Sanitary Engineering, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualification.
- Post-graduate degree in Engineering, Management or Business Administration.
- Corporate Membership of Ghana Institution of Engineers (GhlE).
A minimum of twelve (12) years post qualification experience, at least five (5) years of which should have been in a senior management position.
The candidate should not be more than 57 years old by 31st December, 2014.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven planning and organizing skills
- Thorough understanding of effective water quality operations management techniques and principles.
- Knowledge in strategic planning and financial management.
- Knowledge of Procurement Act of Ghana.
- Understanding of work and maintenance scheduling.
- Understanding of water production and distribution operations.
- In-depth knowledge of research methods and strong analytical skills.
- General knowledge of customer care activities.
- Strong negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
How to Apply:
Applications accompanied by supporting documents, names and addresses of three (3) referees should be sent to:
THE MANAGING DIRECTOR
GHANA WATER COMPANY LIMITED
P. O. BOX MB 194
MINISTRIES – ACCRA
- Closing Date: 5th September, 2014
- Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted