Posted on :
24 Sep, 2010
24 Sep, 2010
Meridian Port Services (MPS) is a dynamic, modern container terminal with an overall commitment to excellence. Meridian Port Services Limited is a joint venture between Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority And Meridian Port Holdings Limited, which is in turn a joint venture with Bolloré Group and APM Terminals as the two main shareholders.
The port of Tema handles approximately 70% of Ghana’s seaborne freight traffic. It also serves to some extent as a gateway for the landlocked countries of Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso.
In charge of scheduling and administrating yard stowage, vessel Load/discharge and shift roster. Manage and supervise vessel, yard and berth planning activities with due regard to safety, quality, productivity and optimum use of staff, equipment and space. All to be propelled by a continuous drive, that will assure a truly first class operation.
1 Manage, motivate and instruct all planning team members. Structure tasks and goals, establish efficient courses of action, set priorities, organise information, efficiently execute daily tasks with considerations to high productivity and efficient utilisation of equipment and labour.
2 Ensure that data quality used in the planning systems (EXPRESS and SPARCS) always is of the highest integrity, and maintained in a timely fashion.
3 Maintain and enhance relationships and goodwill with departments, external/internal customers and vendors. Advising, apprising, assisting, conferring and counselling with these on terminal issues and initiatives.
4 Provide regular process control checks and initiate and support performance improvement activities.
5 Establish and maintain performance criteria for reporting personnel in conjunction with the Operations Manager.
6 Coordinate the training operator program, with the equipment training coordinators. Also consulting with the Operations Manager to ensure that the labour force are trained, tested and certified.
7 Perform periodical scheduled performance review with reporting personnel.
8 Create and report ‘key performance indicators’ (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly, year to date terminal productivity).
9 Appraise twice a year all planning team members
10 Cover weekend operations in rotation with Assistant Operations managers
* Strong mastering and knowledge of Terminal Operating System Navis Sparc and Express (especially yard, vessel planning and Equipment Control, data reports) or equivalent Terminal Operating System.
* Well versed in all aspects of container terminal operations and the importance of planning of vessel operations and terminal stowage including but not limited to planning deployment of manpower and machine requirement as well as scheduling of all operational tasks.
* Makes decisions and acts in a manner leading to meeting customer requirements. Contributes to the advancement of customer goals. Focuses on best practice and continuous process improvement.
* Empowers others to take action. Motivates and inspires others to accomplish and set goals. Encourages high standards of performance. Commands attention and business like behaviour. Leads by personal example.
* Generates high volumes of relevant work; able to sustain high level of activity and energy over long hours when necessary. Works with a business like approach to daily challenges. Makes a difference every day at work. “No detail too small, no effort too great.”
* Continually refines and improves the way the work is done. Puts emphasis on quality and process improvement. Works well without supervision and performs well under pressure. Thinks creatively, and finds innovative ways to produce results. Keep an open dialogue with other managers and ensure that departments are not sub optimising
* Demonstrates cost consciousness in all areas of work; considers cost as a factor in all decisions; improves MPS costs position.
* Creates an environment where staff can communicate across functional boundaries. Shares knowledge, ideas and information openly. Influences others. Communicates in a clear and concise manner; conducts effective meetings, keeps people informed, solicits input from associates. Fluent in English both spoken and written
* Anticipates problems; manages prevention. Creates contingency plans and alternative solutions to problems. Measures results and takes corrective action when needed. Practices benchmarking to set standards within budget constraints.