Abt. Associates Inc., a US based company, is implementing the PMI/ USAID–funded VectorLink Project, Ghana. IRS as a component of VectorLink Project has been implemented in Ghana since 2008 in some selected districts in the Northern Region.
Job Title: Education And Communication Assistants x26
Currently, Abt Associates Inc. is about to implement Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) in nine selected districts in the Northern region: Kumbungu, West Mamprusi, East Mamprusi, Mamprugu-Moagduri, Bunkpurugu-Nakpanduri, Chereponi, Yunyoo-Nasuan, Karaga and Gushegu districts.
We seek qualified individuals to fill temporary positions as Information, Education and Communication Assistants (26 positions) in the following operational sites/ sub-district:
||Kumbungu and Dalun
||Wungu, Kpasenkpe and Janga
||Kubori and Yizesi
||Gambaga, Langbensi, Sakogu, Nalerigu and Gbintiri
||Nakpanduri, Binde and Bunkpurugu
||Nasuan and Yunyoo
||Karaga, Sandua/Zandua and Pishigu
||Gushegu, Galwei and Nabuli
||Chereponi and Wenchiki
Because successful candidates will be based in a specific operational site/ sub-district, it is an advantage for a candidate to be resident in any of the above mentioned sites/ sub-district. Successful candidates will be contracted for not more than 5 months. He/ she will report to the District Operations Coordinator/ IEC Coordinator.
Responsibilities of the IEC Assistant
- Spearhead the mobilization of ALL communities in the operational site/ sub-district to ensure that they are prepared and fully participate in the spraying of their communities.
- Lead the implementation of communication strategies and community-based outreach programs to reach ALLcommunities in the site/ sub-district with IRS messaging.
- Manage and coordinate community educational activities to promote understanding and acceptance of Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) as one of the key malaria control interventions conducted jointly by the GHS and PMI/USAID.
- Liaise with the District Operations Coordinator to engage key stakeholders in the sub-district in IRS activities to enable them fully participate in the implementation of IRS.
- Monitor /supervise the activities of community IEC Mobilizers in the sub-district during the implementation of IRS.
- Liaise with communication agencies/ organizations/ Ghana Health Service Officials/ District Assembly Staff, Community Leadership and Influential Persons who will assist with community mobilization efforts for a successful spray campaign.
- Facilitate trainings for IEC Mobilizers/ Spray Program Advocates.
- Provide weekly reports on IEC activities in the sub-district to the District Operations Coordinator (DOC) and IEC Coordinator
- Perform other duties as assigned by the DOC/ IEC Coordinator.
Required Skills or Experience
- Minimum of a Diploma in Community Development Studies, Communication or relevant field with at least two (2) years relevant working experience.
- Additional professional training in participatory approaches and community mobilization is preferable.
- Good experience working with communities and local leaders, sensitizing and mobilizing communities is essential to this role.
- Strong organizational, reporting and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Strong computer skills
- Proficiency in English and one or more of Northern Ghanaian Languages peculiar to the District /Sub-district (Mampruli, Dagbanli Moar and Kokomba dialects).
- Previous work on IRS activities will be an added advantage.
- Being a native/ resident in any of the operational site/ sub-district will be an advantage.
- VERY GOOD knowledge and understanding of the geographical layout (especially of the chosen operational site/ sub-district) is key to this position.
- MUST be able to ride a motorbike and MUST Poses a valid Motor riders license .
How to Apply
- To apply for the positions, please submit an application letter and CV based on the instructions below:
- Application letter must have specific job title, CV and site/sub-district of preference, otherwise the candidate will not be considered. Please look through the above mentioned sites/ sub-districts and positions to include the name of the site(s) in the application letter.
- To deliver your typed application letter and CV use any of the following options:
- Deliver by hand to the PMI VectorLink Project/Abt Associates Inc. office located near VSO office off the SSNIT FLATS Junction, Waterson road – Tamale.
- Submit to the security guards at the district or sub-district
- offices of the PMI Vectorlink Project listed above.
- Use the email address below [email protected] (Please indicate the position and district in the subject line of the email).
- Emails without district and Job title will not be considered
- Deliver by hand to the Ghana Health Service district or sub-district office or the District Assembly where you want to be considered for any of the positions.
- Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please note that successful candidates will be contracted for not more than 2 months.
- Only qualified applicants will be contacted
- Deadline for submission of applications: 5 PM, 20th December, 2018.