Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Mechanical Technician
About This Role:
- Are you able to conduct safe troubleshooting, replacement, repair, testing and general maintenance of mechanical equipment and systems, according to mechanical codes and specifications, to optimize plant processing and production?
In This Role You Will:
Health and Safety Management
- Deliver on prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies, and protocols.
- Maintain general housekeeping of tools utilized.
- Participate in regular (i.e. daily) safety leadership efforts.
- Ensure safety standards are adhered to.
- Eliminate any safety hazards caused by mechanical defects.
- Contribute to and attend all safety meetings.
- Execute on mechanical maintenance tasks for completion, arising out of schedules received from the Mechanical Supervisor.
- Identify, resolve, and correct detected mechanical faults and defects in equipment.
- Troubleshoot technical and/or operational problems.
- Conduct in-depth investigations into faults affecting equipment operations and process flows.
- Perform routine maintenance on all mechanical equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards.
- Perform a variety of other maintenance tasks, including predictive and preventative mechanical maintenance.
- Utilize hand tools, portable electrical tools, and maintenance shop equipment safely and effectively.
- Read and utilize precision measuring tools.
- Attend to mechanical breakdowns.
- Identify damaged mechanical parts and repair and replace these, when necessary.
- Overhaul gyratory, Mining Machinery Developments (MMD) Oxide and cone crusher and its associated accessories.
- Conduct inspection and overhaul rock breaker.
- Undertake mechanical maintenance including:
- Overhauling of different types of pumps, gearboxes, and other equipment.
- Conducting change-outs of mill motors and associated bearings.
- Conducting routine equipment running checks.
- Rebuilding various types of vibrating screens.
- Conducting repair works on conveyors and associated accessories.
- Disassembling and assembling various types pumps for repair work to be carried out.
- Disassembling and assembling various gearboxes for repair works.
- Rebuilding and installation of cyclones.
- Conducting repair works on mills (i.e. both sag and ball).
- Conducting servicing and repairs to overhead cranes.
- Conducting repair works on Elution heat exchangers and associated accessories.
- Conducting inspections on Agitators and making repairs to accessories.
- Rebuilding of agitator drive shafts and installations.
- Test repair of equipment to determine the extent of effective functioning.
- Provide practical and technical assistance relevant to the trade to the Mechanical Supervisor.
- Conduct thorough shift handover, detailing all relevant information for the incoming crew.
- Report and record all necessary shift information in logbooks.
- Work with the Mechanical Supervisor to maintain optimal mechanical performance of the process plant.
- Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Akyem process plant operation.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Task Procedures (STP’s).
- Maintain an understanding of monthly production targets and progress.
- Strive to reduce downtime and minimize costs.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A minimum of Diploma or relevant certification in Mechanical Engineering.
- Advance knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advance knowledge of the work management process.
- Advance knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Sound knowledge in portable hand and power tools.
- Minimum of 3 – 4 years’ working experience in a mining process plant or similar environment.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills (SAP, MS Word, Outlook, and other Windows applications).
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with Foremen, Maintenance Personnel, other Operators and Senior Staff.
- Ability to troubleshoot, check tolerances on bearings and use precision measuring tools.
- Ability to conduct mill motor change outs, as well as bearings during overhaul.
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment parts.
- Ability to successfully depressurize all hydraulic units and carry out maintenance jobs.
- Ability to conduct repairs on vibrating screens and hacking of screen deck rails.
- Have knowledge in gyratory, Mining Machinery Developments (MMD) Sizer and cone crushers maintenance.
- Detail focused.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Position is located at the Akyem mine.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
- Work Environment: The employee is frequently exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc. The incumbent will regularly lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work require mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.