Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Condition Monitoring Technician
About This Role:
- Are you committed to the improvement and optimization of plant operations?
- Do you enjoy mentoring staff and individuals?
- Do you hold a diploma in Mechnical Engineering?
- Are you a problem solver with a strong work ethics who believes in safety-first?
Join the Process Monitoring Team as a Condition Monitoring Technician where you will be responsible for providing reliable support service through the conduct of high quality condition monitoring of process plant equipment, prevent premature failures and maintain the optimal condition of the equipment at all times.
In This Role You Will:
- Conduct routine condition monitoring tasks on all rotating equipment and other tools in accordance with established schedules and plant requirements.
- Conduct extensive analyses on vibration and other data collected to diagnose/troubleshoot rotating machinery problems and recommend remedial measures.
- Conduct thorough inspections on aspects such as temperature, pressure, vibration and monitor these elements on an ongoing basis.
- Perform specialised non-destructive testing (NDT’s)toward the goal of maintaining equipment availability.
- Conduct stress testing on various piping elements within the mine.
- Conduct sampling activities on process plant equipment, as and when required.
- Report any major changes in equipment condition to the Reliability Engineer.
- Participate actively in reliability improvement programs and Root Cause Failure Analyses on all process plant equipment.
- Analyse and interpret data using CSI-RBM software.
- Initiate corrective actions and propose improvements to enhance the reliability/availability of rotating equipment.
- Participate in plant turnaround / shutdown activities as and when requested by the Reliability Engineer.
- Maintain and update condition monitoring equipment files and associated data in the computerised system.
- Propose measures to improve reliability and availability of plant rotating equipment, through the minimisation of failures.
- Verify and provide detailed feedback on the condition of the equipment stating the sufficiency for plant production.
- Conduct and report on failure analyses and quantify potential value adds to mitigate this.
- Follow-up on failure of notifications raised or deficiencies highlighted and work to close these gaps.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Comply with Newmont mine, health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Take personal responsibility for own health and safety.
- Maintain and improve health and safety standards and practices.
- Participate in safety meetings.
- Maintain records of condition monitoring maintenance and repair work.
- Compile reports on field observations and factor results into weekly /fortnightly planning.
- Produce daily reports indicating the jobs completed for the day and submit the report to the Reliability Engineer.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Accomplish work objectives by determining own work schedule, coordinate with support services and assign short-term tasks to other technicians, as necessary.
- Provide after hours and or standby maintenance back-end support.
- Provide on the job training and guidance to artisans, servicepersons and other equipment users.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Diploma or equivalent techincal qualifications in Mechanical Engineering or Instrumentation.
- Specialised training in vibration analysis and other condition monitoring techniques.
- Strong knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- General knowledge of the work management process.
- Strong knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Sound knowledge of the condition / health of critical assets.
- A minimum of 4 – 6 years’ experience in condition monitoring within the mining industry.
- Proven working experience of PC-based On-Line and Off-Line Condition Monitoring Systems (Hardware and Software)
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills (SAP, MS Word, Outlook and other Windows applications).
- Ability to predict the onset of equipment failure that could lead to the loss of asset functionality.
- Ability to troubleshoot, check tolerances on bearings and use precision measuring tool.
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment parts.
- Detail focused.
- Results oriented.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.