Posted on :
10 Feb, 2017
10 Feb, 2017
Perseus Mining is a dual listed (Australia, Toronto) gold miner and explorer focused on the West African region. Perseus Mining (Ghana) Limited (PMGL) has recently commissioned the world-class Edikan gold project in the Western Region of Ghana. Edikan Gold Mine (EGM) has a current mining reserve of 3.3M oz of gold from a resource base of 4.3M oz. The Edikan processing facility has been designed as a 5.5Mtpa processing facility with the ability to expand this to 7.9Mtpa in the future. The plant is capable of producing at a rate of 220-270,OOOoz gold per annum.
Job Title: Environmental Manager
Purpose of Role:
• To provide Environmental support to the Edikan Gold Mine. The Manager will serve as a chief adviser on all issues which are of environmental concerns and be responsible for drawing the reclamation and mine closure plans.
• Identify environmental compliance requirement of Ghanaian regulatory bodies and international organisations the company subscribes to (e.g. IFC) as listed in legalisation, permits and other agreements to which PMGL is a signatory.
• Develop and implement a compliance based monitoring programme that assesses potential impacts of the project against relevant standards and commitments.
• Ensure all permits and other licenses are up to date and renewed as required.
• Train personnel in appropriate monitoring and rehabilitation methods.
• Manage the submission of permitting and licensing applications to the relevant authority or agency in a timely manner.
• Undertake investigations of actual and potential environmental non-compliance and incidents.
• Undertake environmental inspections and audits of the project facilities and activities.
• Develop waste management plans for the project, taking into account requirements for hazardous wastes, waste reduction and recycling/reuse.
• Develop the site wide Environmental Management System (EMS) on the principle of IS014001 standards
• Ensure progressive rehabilitation of the project and affected areas in line with the project rehabilitation and closure plan. Update the existing plan as required to reflect changes in project.
• Write and submit in a timely fashion all environmental reports (incident, monthly, annual, etc) and data required by corporate, regulators and other stakeholders.
• Develop specific management plans as needed in response to identified issues.
• Coordinate the implementation of the Edikan Gold Mine Environmental Management Plan and permits. Update and the existing plan as required.
• Work with Edikan departments to ensure environmental aspects are integrated into the project execution.
• Assist the Social and Community Department in mitigation environmental impacts on the catchment area and the establishment of hybrid seedlings for sustainable development projects
• Contact with all departments to identify environmental compliance and risk needs, manage environmental aspects of the project and instill awareness across the project.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A degree in Environmental Science
• A master’s degree in Environmental Science/MBA would an advantage
• Health, Safety and Environment Manager’s Certificate of Competence from Minerals Commission (Ghana)
• At least 5 years’ experience at leadership level in similar role in mining operations
• Strong problem solving and analytical
• Ability to work independently and autonomously
• Experience of working to international health and safety standards
• Ability to implement international best practice standards
• Ability to manage conflicting work demands and tight deadlines
• A leader and driver of change
• Experience of working in a continuous improvement organisation.
Location: Western Region
How to Apply For the Job
Applications will only be received by email to:
[email protected] with the job title as the subject line of the email.
Closing Date: 28 February, 2017
Perseus Mining (Ghana) Limited is an equal opportunity employer