Perseus Mining Limited is engaged in mining operations and sale of gold, mineral exploration and gold project evaluation and development in the Republics of Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso, in West Africa. The Company’s segments include Australia, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire. The Australia segment is engaged in investing activities and corporate management. The Ghana segment is engaged in mining, mineral exploration, evaluation and development activities. The Cote d’Ivoire segment is engaged in mineral exploration, evaluation and development activities. The Company holds over 90% of Edikan Gold Mine (EGM), approximately 90% of Grumesa Gold Project, over 90% of Yaoure Gold Project and approximately 86% of Sissingue Gold Mine. It has commenced exploration at various near-mine prospects, including Bokitsi, Mampong, Pokukrom and the Agyakusu prospecting license. It has also commenced exploration at other prospects in Cote d’Ivoire, including the Mbengue, Mahale and Napie licenses.
Job Title: Environmental Manager
To provide Environmental support to the Edikan Gold Mine. The Manager will serve as a chief adviser on all issues which are of environmental concerns and be responsible for drawing the reclamation and mine closure plans.
- Identify environmental compliance requirement of Ghanaian regulatory bodies and international organisations the company subscribes to (e.g. IFC) as listed in legalisation, permits and other agreements to which PMGL is a signatory.
- Develop and implement a compliance based monitoring program that assesses potential impacts of the project against relevant standards and commitments.
- Ensure all permits and other licenses are up to date and renewed as required.
- Train personnel in appropriate monitoring and rehabilitation methods.
- Manage the submission of permitting and licensing applications to the relevant authority or agency in a timely manner.
- Undertake investigations of actual and potential environmental non-compliances and incidents.
- Undertake environmental inspections and audits of the project facilities and activities.
- Develop waste management plans for the project, taking into account requirements for hazardous wastes, waste reduction and recycling/reuse.
- Develop the site wide Environmental Management System (EMS) on the principle of ISO14001 standards
- Ensure progressive rehabilitation of the project and affected areas in line with the project rehabilitation and closure plan. Update the existing plan as required to reflect changes in project.
- Write and submit in a timely fashion all environmental reports (incident, monthly, annual, etc) and data required by corporate, regulators and other stakeholders.
- Develop specific management plans as needed in response to identified issues.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Edikan Gold Mine Environmental Management Plan and permits. Update and the existing plan as required.
- Work with Edikan departments to ensure environmental aspects are integrated into the project execution.
- Assist the Social and Community Department in mitigation environmental impacts on the catchment area and the establishment of hybrid seedlings for sustainable development projects
- Contact with all departments to identify environmental compliance and risk needs, manage environmental aspects of the project and instil awareness across the project.
- A degree in Environmental Science
- A master’s degree in environmental science/MBA would an advantage
- Health, Safety and Environment Manager’s Certificate of Competence from Minerals Commission (Ghana)
- At least 5 years’ experience at leadership level in similar role in mining operations
- Strong problem solving and analytical
- Ability to work independently and autonomously
- Experience of working to international health and safety standards
- Ability to implement international best practice standards
- Ability to manage conflicting work demands and tight deadlines
- A leader and driver of change
- Experience of working in a continuous improvement organisation
How To Apply for The Job
Application will only be received by email to:
[email protected] with Environmental Manager in the subject line of the email.
Perseus Mining (Ghana) Limited is an equal opportunity employer