Founded in 1951 to meet the needs of the educationally disadvantaged, World Education provides training and technical assistance in nonformal education across a wide array of sectors. Registered as a private voluntary organization, World Education has worked in over 50 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, as well as in the United States. World Education contributes to individual growth, strengthens the capacity of local partner institutions, catalyzes community and national development. World Education’s approach is characterized by a commitment to meaningful and equal partnership that is flexible and evolves over time, and is based on mutual interest and trust. In its role as catalyst, World Education strives to develop assets such as good health, literacy, numeracy, business and civic participation skills, and access to credit. World Education promotes local autonomy by partnering with stakeholders to plan and implement their programs for social and economic change, appropriate to the local context and the needs of grassroots constituents.
Job Vacancy: Project Officer – Formal Education
Project Name: ECHOES – Empowering Cocoa Households with Opportunities and Education Solutions
The Project Officer will provide full time support to the successful implementation of all Formal Education-related components (Early Grade Reading & Community Participation in Basic Education) on the donor-funded ECHOES III project.
The Project Officer will be part of a team of staff ensuring the effective implementation of the project in the targeted project districts which currently include Sefwi Wiawso, Sefwi Akontonbra, and Juaboso.
- S/He will have primary responsibility for ensuring that all activities related to Formal Education in the school community are planned and carried out effectively and efficiently.
- S/He will be responsible for building strong collaborative partnerships with relevant stakeholders at the district and community levels and work closely with the Project Officer – Non Formal Education (NFE) to promote education in target communities, and to strengthen and enhance ECHOES partner relationships.
This position will be based in Sefwi Wiawso where World Education has a field office, and will report directly to the ECHOES Project Director based in Accra.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide leadership at the field level for all aspects of the formal education component of ECHOES
- In collaboration with the Project Officer – NFE, coordinate the organization of community entry and participatory community diagnostics
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of all component-related workshops, meetings and associated activities
- Coordinate activities of all relevant actors in the formal education sector (school administrators, teachers, circuit supervisors, SMC/PTAs, and community reading volunteers) for the effective planning and implementation of reading and assessment activities
- Meet regularly with other team members to assess and monitor project implementation and needs of the communities
- Liaise with the M&E team to ensure effective monitoring of the educational progress of all learners through conduct of assessments and on-site class monitoring
- Liaise with F&A team to ensure prudent and efficient use of project funds
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on all field activities and ensure that all field reporting deadlines are met
- Promote basic education and reading in particular in project communities and schools
- Liaise with GES officers from project districts and facilitate cross-learning with them
- Liaise with other program partners and relevant stakeholders to ensure collaboration and effective partnership
- Participate in the development of technical documents including proposal and report writing
- Serve as the primary source of information regarding one’s portfolio both for internal and external purposes. Be prepared to report and respond to requests/questions regarding field operations.
- Contribute, as requested, in the production of materials featuring activities and accomplishments in the field for public relations and fundraising purposes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills or Experience
- Minimum of Bachelors Degree in Education, Social Sciences, or related field required
- Minimum of 3-5 years working experience on an education or literacy program essential
- Recent experience in project management, implementation and monitoring and evaluation
- Technical expertise in formal education, behavior change, community mobilization, and community-based service provision;
- Familiarity with Ghana government education policies, strategies, plans and current/past programming;
- Demonstrated ability to engage partners at different levels and to represent education priorities and issues ;
- Strong leadership, management and interpersonal skills;
- Willingness and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to communicate well in Twi and possibly Sefwi
How To Apply
All C.V’s and online applications should be sent to:
Those by post could be sent to:
The Project Director,
Osu – Accra.
The Deadline for applications is the 20th of January, 2012.