CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE’s community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of HIV, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Care International in Ghana is inviting applications from qualified persons to fill the position of Project Manager for the Kasa Initiative. Kasa is a support mechanism for Civil Society and media Organisations to advocate, in a coordinated and concerted manner, for equitable access, accountability, and transparency in natural resources and environmental governance in Ghana. The Kasa initiative is in its second phase and currently funded by ICCO, CARE and DANIDA.
The Kasa Project Manager is responsible for the overall strategic management, implementation and coordination of project activities in accordance with the Kasa Project documents and the agreements with CARE Denmark, ICCO and other Donors. The kasa PM will work closely with civil society organizations, coalitions and networks, as well as the media and research institutions – active in the natural resource and environment sector – to ensure that the project implementation is informed by the priorities of Ghanaian non-state actors’ priorities and concerns. The position also requires making and nurturing linkages to key government institutions and development partners operating in the sector. The Project Manager reports to the Programme Co-ordinator for Kasa/Civil Society & Governance in CARE. The position is based in Accra with significant travels within and outside the programme area.
Key Responsibilities and Task:
- Contribute to project designs, proposal development fundraising for the Kasa initiatives
- Design or fine tune project implementation strategies that support partnerships, capacity building and coordinated engagements of CSOs for policy advocacy in the NRE sector
- Ensure implementation and monitoring of the effects of Kasa activities in line with the Project documents and agreements with Donors
- Take lead responsibility for project administration and financial management, including; annual budget preparation and budget tracking, annual project implementation plans, procurement plans, and review of quarterly financial updates according to the requirement of CARE
- Take lead responsibility for effective and efficient project sub-grants management
- Develop terms of reference and manage contracts for contributions from consultants and beneficiary organisations in consultation with the Kasa/Governance Coordinator
- Ensure preparation and submission of timely project financial and narrative reports in line with CARE and donor requirements
- Maintain documentation of project processes, progress and results and provide regular information and timely reports to the Governance Coordinator and donors as and when needed
- Ensure effective and efficient administration of the project resources, in line with CARE policies and regulations
- Liaise with the Co-ordinator to plan, develop agendas and call in for steering committee (Board) meetings. Ensure decision making notes are shared after meetings
- Support CSOs coalition building, networking and concerted advocacy on NRE issues including Climate Change
- In collaboration with CSOs networks/coalitions in the NRE sector, organise the annual CSO parallel NRE sector review as an input to the Government annual NRE sector Summits
- In collaboration with M&E Officer, fine tune and implement the Kasa Project Monitoring & Evaluation Plan
- Complete all performance management activities for self and supervises, including preparation and agreement on staff annual performance plans and appraisals
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Governance and Sustainable development, Natural resource management, Environmental science, Rural/social development, etc) or Bachelor’s degree plus significant relevant working experience
- Plus five years of relevant working experience, including a minimum of two years practical project management experience, including financial management, and team leadership
- Strong experience and knowledge of civil society organisations and their activities in Ghana, advocacy, rights-based approaches to development, and relevant policy issues in the Natural Resources Environment sector
- Proven experience and understanding of current natural resource and environmental governance (including policies and implementation) in Ghana
- Positive experiences working with local and international partners and multi-stakeholder relationship building, facilitating Capacity building of CSOs and Organisational Development (OD)
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity
- Communication skills, Integrity and Resilience & Adaptability
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to:[email protected]. PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE FOR THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
Application Forms can be requested through the same email address.OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY
Closing 13th January, 2012