International SOS is the world’s leading international healthcare, medical assistance, and security services company.
We help organizations manage the health and security risks facing their international travelers and expatriates.
Job Vacancy: Pharmacist – Newmont Akyem Project
Location: Akyem Newmont, Ghana, West Africa
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and to the Clinic Administrator for administrative and employment issues.
The Pharmacist will report pharmaceutical activities and any information related to the issues mentioned below to the above mentioned supervisors as required.
- Site CMO Site CMO supervises the medical aspects of the pharmacists role and overseas the logistical requirements regarding pharmaceutical drugs, consumables and equipment.
- Clinic Manager The Pharmacist reports to the Clinic Manager for administrative and staffing issues, such as employment contract, leave, and salary issues, etc.
- Store man The Pharmacist works with the Store man to ensure the clinic has all the necessary drugs and consumables required.
- National Doctors The Pharmacist works closely with the National Doctors with regards to drugs dispensed, treatment recommendations and availability.
- Nurse or
- Head Nurse The Pharmacist works with the Nurse or Head Nurse to co-ordinate patient medication.
- Occupational Health Physician and OH Nurse The Pharmacist works with the OH Physician and OH Nurse to provide the necessary pharmaceutical support for the OH program.
The Pharmacists responsibilities include:
1) Use of SOPPs: The Pharmacist must make reference to the Pharmacy Services SOPP for Newmont Ghana at the following address on the shared Z drive:-
- Z:\International SOS Mgt System_AKYEM\Sect 3 CLINICAL SUPPORT\Sect 3.8 Pharmacy
Under this are the following References which must also be applied:-
- 3.8.4. Procurement and Inventory Control
- 3.8.6. Cold Chain Procedures_Ghana
- Pharmacy Operations
- 126.96.36.199. Nurses Drug Formulary
The Pharmacist must make extensive use of the above SOPP and update it and review it article regularly
- b) Z:\Central store\2010\Monthly Consumption Report
2) Pharmaceutical Dispensing and Monitoring as follows:
- Dispensing medication to patients & supplies to the various clinic departments
- Supplying the patients with information on how and when to take the dispensed medications, including written patient information if required.
- Ensuring an adequate inventory of drugs is stocked in the clinic and the stores in conjunction with the store man.
- Ensure Controlled Drugs are secured in the lockup cupboard in the Pharmacy and that all controlled items are dispensed and recorded with the necessary signatures as per the protocol for controlled items.
- Ensuring all medications are stored under the correct conditions and in good condition and a record of this is maintained, as per GMS procedures.
- Check expiry dates of drugs to be dispensed
- Remove and dispose of any items that are not listed as part of the Inventory control list.
- Arrange all pharmaceutical drugs, consumables and Laboratory supplies in the pharmacy and the storerooms in an organised manner according to a systematic classification of the items in conjunction with the Store Man and paramedic.
- Keep the pharmacy and store rooms and all equipment clean and orderly and ensure adequate temperature control in these rooms is maintained i.e. air conditioners to be functioning and maintained.
- Store all items requiring refrigeration in the refrigerator in the pharmacy and ensure refrigerator temperatures are monitored as per the Cold Chain protocols. Records of the temperature checks should be made and available for audit purposes.
- Ensure all medications are controlled according to their schedule, in line with Intl SOS procedures and within the legal regulations applicable in Ghana
- Ensure that new stock orders are prepared on time and with proper authorization by the site medical / clinic administration management.
- Ensure inventory of drugs stocked is accurate using the SOPP. Where discrepancies are found, timely reports are to be prepared, together with recommendations to handle the issues.
- Ensuring new stock orders are shipped as complete as possible. This will involve co-ordination with the Logistics group and procurement department in the ISOS Accra Office.
- Maintain & develop sources of supply in conjunction with the Procurement department in Accra.
3) Administrative Responsibilities:
- Complete and submit the monthly reports in a timely and accurate manner
- Perform Month end stock takes.
- Compile Consumption Reports for NGGL and for their Contractors in conjunction with the clinic manager.
- Compile a Utilization Report detailing consumption patterns across all product lines with a view to statistical analysis on trends.
- Adjust Min-Max levels of the items on the Inventory Control list based on consumption patterns and in conjunction with the CMO’s recommendations.
4) General Responsibilities:
- Assists in the development, review and revision of policies and procedures.
- Supports clinic policies.
- Assists in the training and orientation of new personnel.
- Actively participates in staff meetings.
- Report any work related injuries or illnesses as per the ISOS reporting procedures.
- Represent SOS in a professional manner in terms of conduct, appearance and service
- Partake in all the training programs in the clinic.
- Participate in the Medical Committee meetings held at least quarterly.
- Participate in the Monthly Site Management Meetings.
Required Skills or Experience
Specific Job Requirements:-
- A minimum of a 4 year degree in Pharmacology or its equivalent from a recognized training institution in Ghana.
- Registration with The Pharmacy Council, Ghana.
- 3 years post-qualification working experience
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word/Excel and Internet Browsing)
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Enthusiasm, innovation and initiative.
- Leadership skills and responsibility to oversee the Pharmacy department.
- Well mannered, good personal appearance and hygiene.
- Good interpersonal skills with staff and clients.
- Willingness to learn and teach others.
- Annual review of the employee’s performance is performed by the management staff.
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should send their applications to:
Closing date: 31 Jan, 2012