Founded in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) brings together innovative and energetic young professionals who work with relevant stakeholders to lay the foundation for the promotion of a sustainable and productive future for the youth in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realize a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient, and self-respecting citizens. Our core areas of competency include youth employment and entrepreneurship; youth leadership and capacity development; youth policy and advocacy; youth participation and active citizenship. YES-Ghana operates as a not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation incorporated according to the laws of Ghana. For more information on YES-Ghana, seewww.yesghana.org.
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Reporting to: Executive Director
Start Date: February 2012
Duration of Contract: One year (renewable)
Salary and conditions: Negotiable, with benefits
Starting January 2012, YES-Ghana is rolling out a new project dubbed ‘Voices of Youth’. The overall development objective is to increase attention and investment on critical youth issues in Ghana’s development agenda. More specifically, the project seeks increased youth participation in public policy decision-making in the country. These will be achieved through the development of a ‘Youth Manifesto’ – a comprehensive compilation of youth policy options and proposals to place youth issues and perspectives at the heart of Ghana’s 2012 elections agenda. The ‘Youth Manifesto’ will be developed by youth themselves through broad consultation with and participation of other stakeholders under the umbrella of a ‘Youth Manifesto Coalition’ to be established. Other major activities of the project include: youth dialogue with presidential and parliamentary candidates; youth conference on oil and gas; national ‘Voices of Youth’ conference; national youth policy dialogue; high-level meeting on financing youth development in Ghana; among others. Members of the Youth Manifesto Coalition will benefit from capacity building training and action in youth advocacy and active citizenship, participatory community radio and social media production, peace-building and conflict prevention, as well as listing in a new directory for youth development.
YES-Ghana is seeking a highly motivated and capable Manager for the ‘Voices of Youth’ Project. We are particularly looking for qualified persons interested in a long-term career in youth development at YES-Ghana.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Overall project management and technical guidance
- Ensure sound project management of and take full responsibility for the implementation of the ‘Voices of Youth’, as per the project document and donor regulations;
- Develop implementation plan and budget based on expected project outputs, ensuring close monitoring of activities and delivery;
- Provide direction and guidance to the Project Team and responsible parties where applicable;
- Liaise with the Project Advisory Committee to assure the overall direction and integrity of the project;
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project;
- Manage financial allocations and expenditures according to delegated authority and ensure timely payments in accordance with YES-Ghana’s financial management policy;
- Coordinate activities of the project, including those financed through pooled and parallel funding, to deliver indented outputs and achieve desirable impact of the project;
- Ensure proper use and maintenance of project equipment and office records and any other documentation by the project personnel;
- Oversee and monitor work plans and budgets for all project activities;
- Ensure gender mainstreaming within all project activities;
- Perform other duties as requested by Executive Director.
Effective leadership towards project implementation processes
- Establish and maintain good working relations with relevant stakeholders from government, civil society, international agencies, religious and traditional authorities, private sector, and the youth front;
- Build, motivate and lead a high performing team consisting of project personnel, expert consultants, service providers, etc.;
- Provide strategic leadership and steer the realisation of the project components, with particular focus on the effective and broad base process of mobilising youth input into national development agenda;
- Facilitate the work of the Project Advisory Committee, including meetings, reporting, and follow-up activities;
- Guide and oversee the process of delivery of assistance and interaction with youth groups and associations across the country, as per the planned activities within the project document;
- Review on a regular basis project details, schedules, deliverables and budget as articulated in the implementation plan (evidence of progress towards expected outputs, according to schedule, within budget) with the project team.
Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance
- Manage and monitor the identified project risks and issues; submit new risks and issues to the Project Advisory Committee for consideration and decision if required; update the status of project risks and issues;
- Oversee and ensure timely submission of the Project Narrative and Financial Reports as required by YES-Ghana, the Project Advisory Committee or donor for review and approval;
- Monitor and analyse the project environment and progress, using applicable monitoring and evaluation and risk management tools where relevant, and advice on timely readjustment of project strategies and corrective actions as necessary;
- Conduct field visits and quality checks of project events, sites and activities;
- Prepare reviews and capture lessons learnt from the project implementation; identify follow-up actions and submit them for consideration to the Project Advisory Committee.
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements, including through the project’s communication tools, and where possible, participation in national and international forums, making substantive contributions as appropriate;
- Ensure dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
Partnership and advocacy
- Liaise with donors, relevant government agencies, and all project partners, including youth groups and associations for effective coordination of all project activities;
- Actively participate in resource mobilisation efforts in close consultation with Management;
- Identify and support the realisation of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximise the project results;
- Ensure regular communication and coordination with project partners and develop and maintain effective mechanisms for integrating and responding to their feedback and insights;
Required Skills or Experience
- Knowledge of issues of youth development, participation, public policy and related concepts at global, African, and national levels;
- In-depth knowledge and experience in youth development in Ghana, including youth policy, programming, and mobilisation;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and managing development projects at the national level, including results-based management;
- Demonstrated writing skills, including ability to prepare reports and conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, making and defending recommendations;
- Sound political judgment, impartiality, diplomacy and discretion;
- Proven ability to provide effective leadership and transfer advice and knowledge to team members from different backgrounds;
- Proven ability to establish priorities and to plan, organise, coordinate and monitor own work plan and provide advice and guidance to others;
- Resourcefulness, sound judgment and decision-making skills; demonstrated sound judgment in resolving issues/problems;
- Excellent and effective communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with young people and others in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Ability to work under pressure and target-driven conditions;
- Self-starter, self-motivated; able to take initiative and bring innovation to project implementation;
- Professional demeanour; able to present a professional image of the organisation at all times;
- Excellent computer skills (especially internet and Microsoft office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in development studies, social sciences, or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in similar position;
- Previous experience as team leader planning and managing programme/project at national level is an asset, including financial management of projects, reporting, and M&E;
- Practical experiences running youth programmes in Ghana would be an added advantage;
- Understanding of the overall political, administrative and institutional set-up of governance and participatory development in Ghana;
- Familiarity with key public documents, strategies and trends related to youth development and democratic governance in Ghana, as well as global and regional frameworks for youth development;
- Fluency in English with excellent drafting and presentation skills;
- Working knowledge of one or more Ghanaian languages desirable.
How To Apply
Please submit a one-page cover letter and a recent CV bearing your contact details and two references to [email protected]. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing date: 09 Jan, 2012