The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is currently funding the Ghana WASH project which aims to maximize health impacts in five regions of Ghana including Greater Accra, Volta, Eastern, Central and Western.
Under Ghana WASH, Winrock International is seeking Community Total Led Sanitation Agents to implement a comprehensive behavior change program around health/hygiene promotion and access to safe water and sanitation practices in specified districts. She/he will be in charge of capacity building of local NGOs (LNGOs) by training and supporting them to implement the CLTS approach with additional activities in community entry and mobilization, community profile analysis, hygiene promotion, advocacy, leadership, civic engagement, social marketing and safe water and sanitation practices. There will also be direct implementation and oversight responsibilities with respect to CLTS activities in the field.
Terms of Reference:
Community-Led Total Sanitation Agent, WASH project, Ghana
Reports to: Winrock DCOP/Behavior Change Specialist, G-WASH Project
- Assisting the DCOP/Behavior Change Specialist with the development of CLTS training materials as well as supporting and building capacity for local NGOs
- Ensuring that communities are implementing their action plans and practices as well as measuring progress for behavior change
- Interacting with District Assemblies and Environmental Health Assistants to assist them in promotion and implementation of CLTS activities at various districts in project operational areas
- Support and participate in frequent experience sharing workshops with regional and district level stakeholders including CWSA, DWSTs and other stakeholders in CLTs
- Providing input into Small Grants facility policy and Small Grants manual with regard to CLTS, mobilization and social marketing
- Conducting monitoring and evaluation activities and collecting data based upon performance targets, including hardware targets such as the number of household latrines being built as a result of the CLTs efforts. Ensure that local NGOs are implementing these targets in their project plans for achieving water and sanitation behavior change in schools and communities
- Preparing monthly reports for the DCOP/Behavior Change Specialist and the Field Coordinator
- Being able to travel extensively within the specified districts and regions
Successful candidates will be based at the district level where CLTS initiatives are taking place: Ho, East Akim, Aowin Suaman and Agona East are possible sites
Required Skills or Experience
- Five to Seven years experience in rural development with a focus on CLTS, water resource management, sanitation, and health and hygiene promotion
- Experience in community mobilisation and sensitization with excellent facilitation skills
- Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Extensive, demonstrated experience and knowledge of CLTS and community based approaches to behavior change and factors leading to sustainable change
- Understanding of and experience utilizing participatory training methods
- Previous experience in driving a motorcycle is a plus
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, CV and three contactable references to: [email protected] by COB.
The interviews will be held in Accra at the Ghana WASH Project office in East Legon-Extension near America House.
For a full job description, please request one from Sylvia Agyeibea Akuffo at: [email protected]
Closing date: 6th Sept, 2011