World Vision International is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For over two decades. World Vision has been working with urban and rural communities in all the 10 Regions of Ghana to improve provision of water, promote sanitation and hygiene practices and quality education.
World Vision is looking for highly qualified and motivated persons for the position of Water Microbiologist for WASH-HD to based in Tamale.
To provide technical support and assistance to the Regional Water Quality Specialist, work closely with other laboratory staff and if needed with other water quality staff in WASH-HD projects areas in Ghana, Mali and Niger.
- Perform micro-biological examinations of water samples, through the observation, identification, and classification of micro-organisms
- Interpret data and present findings to supervisor. Maintain accurate data, records and reports and submit appropriate records and reports on a regular basis as required by the organization
- Prepare standards from concentrates, solutions, culture medial and quality control samples and ensures that laboratory apparatus and supplies are sterile. Maintain and operates laboratory equipment for routine and special water analyses
- Operate and perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment including: incubators, hoods, autoclaves, oven, microscopes, specific ion meter, conductivity meters, turbidity meters, titrators, pH meters, analytical balances
- Conduct all required performance evaluation to maintain certification with state and international regulatory agencies
- Maintain standards of safety and comply with World Vision’s Health, Safety and environment and management system requirements
- Take reasonable care of own health and safety and that of others in the workplace
- Follow and maintain World Vision’s standards of Quality in accordance with the organization’s Quality System requirements
- Degree in biology (microbiology/applied biology), biochemistry or public health with a minimum of 2 years work experience in water microbiology
- Five years working experience in the WASH sector and good understanding of industry standards and trends
- Knowledge of micro-analysis of water, membrane filtration and/or any cultivation methods
- Most probable number method
- Awareness of pathogenic micro organisms
- Computer knowledge
- The preferred candidate must be a committed Christian
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria should send their application letters and CV to: [email protected].
As a Child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Closing 11th May, 2011