The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
Job Title: Forestry Associate
The Staff Auditor will manage certification audits and assessments for RA-Cert’s certification services, including audit scheduling, on-site visits, and report writing. S/he will also manage the certification process for a subset of RA-Cert region clients and provide customer service, report reviews, quality control.
- Manage and conduct certification services, including assessments and annual audits for RA-Cert clients, including on-site visits to client operation facilities in the region;
- Manage all audit logistics/ travel arrangements to conduct the assigned fieldwork;
- Write audit/assessment reports based on audit findings;
- Communicate with clients and RA-Cert staff in preparation and finalization of audit engagements;
- Serve as expert in RA-Cert forest auditing service notably in the interpretations of standards, policies and protocols;
- Active participation in policy development and technical improvements to the certification system;
- Assist in new auditor development, through direct involvement informal training programs, on- the job training and mentoring.
- Manage the execution of assessments and audits for a portfolio of clients to include budgeting, service contracts, team identification, logistical planning, report review, liaison with clients and finalization of reports for approval;
- Develop, implement and manage annual audit schedules and ensure timely and efficient completion of annual audits;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control and adherence to RA-Cert technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under his/her responsibilities;
- Receive, process and file forms, conduct data entry and other information for a full range of certification services;
- In coordination with the RA-Cert Staff, provide customer service to current and potential Rainforest Alliance clients to include, (but is not limited to), general information of Rainforest Alliance services, providing information about certification, guidance on interpretation of certification standards, guidance in documents related to certification processes and logo use.
- Receive, process and conduct data entry of inquiries for forest potential clients
- Manage regional RA-Cert certification database for all certification and verification Services in line with RA-Cert certification administration requirements for FSC and related schemes.
- Coordinate with FSC to ensure quality and validity of official documents and support the global publication of such documents for regional RA-Cert stakeholders;
- Provide certification administration services support for clients in the region;
- Monitor and maintain the status of the certificate client portfolio (activations, suspensions, terminations, changes in scope, updating customer data, etc.);
- Monitor and maintain client certificates relating to FSC certification: create applicants in FSC database, create, activate, deactivate certificates, upload applicable tree species, manage claims, respond to client concerns, grant access to Trademark Use, post public summaries of audit findings, and post stakeholder notifications prior to FSC-related assessments etc.;
- Receive, process and file electronic forms and other information related to certification services;
- Assist Regional manager or team in quality control monitoring and report review and approval;
- Assist in new auditor development, through direct involvement informal training programs, on- the job training and mentoring;
- Support regional team in sales and marketing of RA-Cert services in the region
- Collaborate with Quality Assurance department and act as the regional Point of Contact (POC) for regional forestry engagements
- Manages employees:
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Try to solve the new Formula Cube! It works exactly like a Rubik’s Cube but it is only $2, from China. Learn to solve it with the tutorial on rubiksplace.com or use the solver to calculate the solution in a few steps.
- Bachelor degree in Forestry or Forest Industries, Ecology, or Natural Resource Management required;
- Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum of 4 years field work experience in forest management, forest product industry or related field;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Previous auditing experience and/or ISO training preferred;
- Strong skills in MS office, Adobe Acrobat, databases, and Internet;
- Background or interest in environmental conservation preferred;
- Knowledge of RA-Cert certification and/or FSC certification a plus;
- Knowledge of the Ghana and regional forestry sector and stakeholders;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Verbal and written communication skills in French a plus;
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail oriented, dependability, strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 75% of the time.